What Kind of Grass to use in FL?

Sep 6, 2010
Our pool is going to have a raised grass area framed in coping as a deck.

I would like to use something besides St. Augustine because it's so uncomfortable to walk/sit on.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

I like the type of grass they use at the ball fields here, but I don't know what kind of grass that is.

P.S. I've started a blog, so if you want to see what I'm talking about you can go to http://www.buildingmydreampool.blogspot.com.
Thanks

Well, we decided to give zoysia (empire is the variety up here) a try in our back yard where the ground was excavated and where the grass died (busted irrigation system & just overall neglect). It has smaller blades and a tighter weave than Floratam St. Augustine. One neighbor installed it this spring & it looks nice. Regretfully, our HOA requires ST Augustine in visable areas. UF has a very good web site (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_lawn_grasses ) that focuses on FL lawns.

Our irrigation system was just reconstructed so the sod will go in on Wed (please please). Will repost when it's done & offer a couple of pictures of the zoysia install.

Bermuda grass is very invasive! its worse than the most invasive weed you can name IMO. It looks nice when it's freshly cut, but give it a few days and it will send out streamers across concrete or anything else that gets in it's way. The one up-side to bermuda is that it thrives in the hottest climates and doesn't require that much water. It's very common around Oklahoma. Mow, edge, and run the trimmer weekly and you'll keep it looking nice. Your winters are not as harsh as they are here, so you may see different results, but it does turn brown and dies off once it starts getting cold.

Zoysia is a great choice. We live in Houston and are entire front yard is zoysia. It is thicker than St. Augustine and much softer. It also is not nearly as invasive as Bermuda. I've found that it does really well in the heat when St. Augustine is starting to look stressed. It also needs less water than St. Augustine. I'm actually thinking about digging up the St. Augustine in my back yard and planting Zoysia.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
funny thing is if you look at homes on Long Island (NY) and homes just over the GW bridge in NJ, they use a totally different type of grass. Out on LI, the grass is thick and plush...I thinks its Bermuda, but in NJ, I think they mostly use Kentucky Blue.....and they are only miles apart.

I have lived in Texas my whole live and have always had St. Augustine. I'm not sure what kind of Zoysia that we have in our front yard (it was already planted in the front yard when we bought our house) but the previous owner said it was developed for Texas climate at Texas A&M. What's interesting is there is a small patch of Zoysia planted in our backyard right next to St. Augustine. The Zoysia is so thick that the St. Augustine can't grow through it. There is basically a solid line where the 2 grasses meet. What's really nice is that the Zoysia does not have runners like St. Augustine or Bermuda. I have it right next to flower beds and it doesn't invade them at all. The key though is that it really likes heat. I doubt it would do good up north.

I cant speak for anyone else, but I had to resod my yard.
I put down Flortam, then seeded the sod with zoysa and bermuda grass.
Its an odd combination, but each grass offers its own strenghts, By doing it this way, it stays greener with less water, still has softer grass in it. (no florida grass is soft) and resists weeds and bugs.
I put down some KY BlueGrass on the side of my house, just to see. It will grow, but its thin blades down here and looks alot like spanish moss.
thats what worked for us in south florida

StuartPool said:
I cant speak for anyone else, but I had to resod my yard.
I put down Flortam, then seeded the sod with zoysa and bermuda grass.
(snip) resists weeds

There can't be room for weeds to grow! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.