What is this stain and how do I remove it?

wireface

Jun 30, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
This is our first full summer with the pool. This stain has been there since we opened the pool in May. It's along 1.5 sides and is a good bit above the water line.

I think it's organic. Elbow grease and some cleaners such as "In the Swim Super tile and vinyl cleaner" lighten the stain but they also remove the pattern on the vinyl. Raising the water level above the stains seemed to clear up some of it too but I would have to maintain the water level almost to the very brim to hit all the stains. I'm worried about water getting behind the liner, especially where the liner meets the stairs.

One of the articles on this site says to hold a trichlor puck to the stains to determine if it's organic. My pool is saltwater, is there anywhere I can get just a handful of pucks instead of a bucket of 50 or is there an alternative method?

Thank in advance for any help.

IMG20220630094807.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sort of looks like a "scum line". I get it once or twice a season where the waterline brushes upwards in a spot or two. That stuff feels a bit gummy and takes some work to rub off. I have a FG pool so I use a Magic Eraser.

Pool Care Basics

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sort of looks like a "scum line". I get it once or twice a season where the waterline brushes upwards in a spot or two. That stuff feels a bit gummy and takes some work to rub off. I have a FG pool so I use a Magic Eraser.

Pool Care Basics

Thanks for the quick reply. Mister Clean's Magic Eraser? I actually tried that on a small section. It was very effective for a general cleaning - that small section now looks much cleaner and brighter than the rest of the liner. But it didn't do much to the stains without me applying some pressure. When I did, it rubbed off the pattern off the vinyl as well.

Mister Clean's Magic Eraser?
Yes, that's what I used. But your liner requires a bit of careful attention since you've already seen some changes to the pattern. So whatever method you use, test a small area first to ensure you are happy with the results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.