What is the telltale sign you are leaking DE ?

morolo

Jun 16, 2018
Reisterstown
I have a Hayward DE6020 DE filter. I replace the whole fin assembly because I feared the old assembly was leaking DE. I have a lot of Green algae but when I clean I see white specks. I have cloudy water waiting for Dry acid according to Leslie's. I assume once the water is clear I may see a clue.

white specks usually makes me think high Calcium and/or CSI. If your pool has algae and white specks my recommendation is to get a good test kit so you can verify if your calcium and/or CSI is high, if so that might be the white specks.

Why is dry acid going to make the water clear? If you have algae you need to SLAM Process to clear it up. I wouldn't trust any advice from leslies, especially if they are telling you dry acid is going to clear up your pool.

I feared the old assembly was leaking DE
What evidence do (or did) you have of possibly leaking DE? Made me think of one time when my pool store tried to convince me that my DE must have blown into the pool and that's why the water was so cloudy. What a bunch of baloney. I did a simple experiment with a bucket of water and some DE - the stuff clumps up and simply falls to the bottom. It does not disperse into small particles and float around in the water! Shortly after that is when I lost all remaining faith in anything they tell me.

Reactions: Cwiggs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.