What is the best variable speed motor w/square flange?

For power surges one of the better ways to go is a small whole house style surge protector that installs into the circuit breaker panel in one of the circuit breaker positions in the pool sub-panel (assuming you have an available 240 breaker slot).

So, I spoke to the warranty company today and they will cash me out at $750.00. I can get the V-Green online for about 680 ish. I completely get your theory but you are not comparing apples to apples. You are saying I could save $500.00 but I would have to get a 2 speed motor. I have done a lot of research and a variable speed seems like the best way to go these days. I am now just wondering if I should just get the Intelliflo or another complete system since the cost is pretty close. It possibly could even be cheaper if I can get the rebate from the electric company.

Why do you feel so strongly about the 2 speed?

Any recommendations on a variable speed pump w/motor? Intelliflo I hear a lot...is that one the best or just most well known?

Thanks
Robyn

cjmrdm said:
I think Mark is saying that when compared to a 1-speed, a 2-speed will get you much of the savings that a VF will give you...and leave you ~$380 (assuming the 2-speed is about 300) extra cash in pocket now. It will take you a long time to make up that 380 with the VF over the 2-speed motor, especially at the low rates you pay...you probably will never make it up.

I still think that it might be a good idea to go with a 1/2 H.P motor and impeller. Do you think that is would meet your flow requirements?

If you really want a variable speed pump. It might be worthwhile checking out the new Hayward Variable Speed SuperPump. It's new, so there won't be many reviews. However, you should be able to find one for about your cash out price, such as this example.

SuperPumpVS.jpg

http://www.poolandspasupplystore.com/se ... _a_7cT1015

http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 002__I.htm

linen said:
cjmrdm said:
I think Mark is saying that when compared to a 1-speed, a 2-speed will get you much of the savings that a VF will give you...and leave you ~$380 (assuming the 2-speed is about 300) extra cash in pocket now. It will take you a long time to make up that 380 with the VF over the 2-speed motor, especially at the low rates you pay...you probably will never make it up.

Does noise become a factor between the too, meaning the VS might run lower than the "low speed" of the 2 speed?

The vs can certainly run at a lower speed, but I am not sure that my 2 speed could be any quieter on low speed.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Hello Robyn,

Here's a link to Pentair that compares savings between single/two-speed/and variable speed.
http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/r ... /index.htm

The variable speed will most always win, but the difference in price between the dual speed and the variable speed isn't large enough to make up the difference in price savings.

Example 2 speed = $300
Example Var speed = $900

The variable speed cost $600 dollars more, but it saves you $100 dollars a year. It takes 6 years to make up the price difference before you get any savings. If your electric rates are lower it takes longer to recoup.

Hope that makes sense.

The other thing, if you turn the pump speed too low, yes you get great savings but you may not get adequate pool circulation, skimmer action.

The people on this forum are really trying to give you the best info and aren't in it for the money.
Bob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bobodaclown said:
The other thing, if you turn the pump speed too low, yes you get great savings but you may not get adequate pool circulation, skimmer action.

Bob

That is a good point Bob. If a person has several water features (sheer descent, deck jets)...sounds like the VS could go very low, but might impact the visual appeal of water features as well. Assuming I understand this correctly (good chance I am not :oops: )

bobodaclown said:
Here's a link to Pentair that compares savings between single/two-speed/and variable speed.
The Pentair cost estimation system makes a number of assumptions that I don't consider realistic. This results in estimated savings that are larger than most people will ever actually see.

JamesW said:
I still think that it might be a good idea to go with a 1/2 H.P motor and impeller. Do you think that is would meet your flow requirements?

If you really want a variable speed pump. It might be worthwhile checking out the new Hayward Variable Speed SuperPump. It's new, so there won't be many reviews. However, you should be able to find one for about your cash out price, such as this example.

SuperPumpVS.jpg

http://www.poolandspasupplystore.com/se ... _a_7cT1015

http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 002__I.htm

That is an interesting new addition to the VS pumps for people who do not need 3HP pumps for any reason ... in my case that is still almost double what I paid for the 1HP 2-speed, so still would not make financial sense, but certainly something to keep in mind.

Does anyone here owns an EcoPump system? I'm new here and just learning about pump systems. My Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 motor just died, and I just found out about the EcoPump high energy star rated efficiency, and found it quite interesting, but since they are sold directly from the factory, I would rather hear back from someone who currently has one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.