What else? Mustard Algae

Beth33

Sep 24, 2022
Louisiana
I have followed the SLAM method. I did it last week, went to mustard algae level shock, brought chlorine back down, then saw more dead algae. I started again Sunday night. I meet the 2 requirements to be done, but I continue to see the white dead algae in the mornings, even though it is a small amount (sometimes one quarter size spot). I have not seen live algae in over two weeks. I vacuum to waste every morning, brush, backwash, cleaned everything, threw away floats, etc. my levels have been kept as follows:
FC 18-24
CC 0 - .2
Alk 130-150
Ph 7.4-7.8
CYA 30-50 (currently 40)
CH 240
Fiberglass, SWG, Taylor test kit (testing several times a day and have gotten store test)
What else??? Will the dead algae stop appearing?

Welcome Beth!

I assume you passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and closely followed the SLAM Process? What type of filter do you have? Have you monitored pressures and cleaned/backwashed as needed? Maybe what your seeing is not dead algae or perhaps your filter is taking a bit longer to filter out the debris. If you have a sand filter, you can add a bit of DE to help filter out smaller particles. It sounds to me like you killed the algae.

Welcome Beth!

I assume you passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and closely followed the SLAM Process? What type of filter do you have? Have you monitored pressures and cleaned/backwashed as needed? Maybe what your seeing is not dead algae or perhaps your filter is taking a bit longer to filter out the debris. If you have a sand filter, you can add a bit of DE to help filter out smaller particles. It sounds to me like you killed the algae.
I have passed the OCLT and closely followed the SLAM. I have also backwashed (sand filter) several times. Picture was when I saw a lot, but now it’s usually on the lip of the steps. I will research adding DE to filter. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.