What did you spend on landscaping after pool build?

Amazed

Bronze Supporter
Dec 21, 2017
San Antonio, TX
We had our first landscaper come out since the pool was built. We kind of know what we want and need. The guy that came out is high dollar. He was talking several palm trees, landscape lighting and new working of the sprinkler system. He wanted to know our budget and clearly we have no idea and did not know what to tell him. Finally we got him to say that everything he was talking about would run 25-30K!!! We don’t have that kind of money to spend on this. I’m thinking we can get the sprinklers re-worked for $1500 and maybe if we do some lighting we could spend $1500-2000 on lighting. Maybe another 7K for actual plantings. What has been your experience with this?

We had 1000 yds of fill, 400 yds of loam, hydroseeding, 200sq ft pavers, 9ft sitting wall w/ end columns, fire pit, granite steps, 3-4 yds of mulch, $1000 in plant material planted, entire property weeded, existing beds edged, plantings pruned, lawn mowed for ~$27k

We had lots of slopes to deal with, wall work would've put us into the 40-50k range with 1/4 the amount of finished yard.

We spent $3500 to properly grade our pool so it would pass inspection and are currently suing our builder for this amount. We did all of the landscaping and low voltage lighting ourselves. So cost of materials only which was probably $2-$3k.

We spent 5000 on complete sprinkler rework, 8 10 yards of mulch and assorted plants and had three small trees move further away from the pool. On our own we spent 520 for 4 pallets of sod. Several yards of crushed granite to fill in the side yard( side project) 400 for 4 laborers for a day. Overall I think it totaled out to around 6500 to 7000

We have a challenging yard due to a slope. We didn't rush to do anything and it has taken a couple of years to get it where we like.

Skippy loves sharing and receiving plants and cuttings from friends and strangers. He plants them with some plan only he knows but it isn't rushed. I like that we got this plant from Mrs. SoandSo and he can name them all.

Our biggest challenge was to prevent erosion of the hill the pool is on. We went to a nursery soon after the build and bought lots of juniper which is good on hills, and he planted some great Wandering Jew purple plant someone gave him mixed thru the juniper. It was probably less than $500. I have mounds of Black Eyed Susans and Daylillies on this hill also. All added over time and gorgeous!

All I'm babbling about is that you don't *have* to do it all at once. See how things work over time.

Maddie :flower:

Your best bet is to get a few quotes so you know you are getting a fair price, then look at DYI options. YouTube can teach you a lot about how to landscape if you are prepared to put in the work. Also, you could go to temp labor agency -- People Ready, Labor Ready, is what some are called here. You just need to carefully direct what they are doing, and it helps if you speak some Spanish. My dad is doing his with temp labor and saving a ton. But he is pretty hands on.

Hard to compare what other people spend because every yard is different, and the sky is the limit on what you can spend for landscaping.

Your best bet is to get a few quotes so you know you are getting a fair price, then look at DYI options. YouTube can teach you a lot about how to landscape if you are prepared to put in the work. Also, you could go to temp labor agency -- People Ready, Labor Ready, is what some are called here. You just need to carefully direct what they are doing, and it helps if you speak some Spanish. My dad is doing his with temp labor and saving a ton. But he is pretty hands on.

Hard to compare what other people spend because every yard is different, and the sky is the limit on what you can spend for landscaping.

We wouldn’t mind doing some of it our selves. The biggest challenge is that with the limestone in our yard we would need heavy equipment to plant anything large. We are going to get more quotes and hopefully they will be more in the ball park. We are considering doing much of it ourselves and just paying a professional to plan the large trees.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had our first landscaper come out since the pool was built. We kind of know what we want and need. The guy that came out is high dollar. He was talking several palm trees, landscape lighting and new working of the sprinkler system. He wanted to know our budget and clearly we have no idea and did not know what to tell him. Finally we got him to say that everything he was talking about would run 25-30K!!! We don’t have that kind of money to spend on this. I’m thinking we can get the sprinklers re-worked for $1500 and maybe if we do some lighting we could spend $1500-2000 on lighting. Maybe another 7K for actual plantings. What has been your experience with this?
Wow...that price is ridiculous, but then again, I don't know how large your yard is. We have a "yard guy" who we have been using for a few years...really reliable, talented and reasonable. He said once we get our pool built, he will do ALL landscaping work (including re-working sprinklers) for around $2500-3000. He said for us to tell him the kind of plants/trees we want and he can get them for us and plant them much, much cheaper than anyone else. His history with us makes us trust him.

Wow...that price is ridiculous, but then again, I don't know how large your yard is. We have a "yard guy" who we have been using for a few years...really reliable, talented and reasonable. He said once we get our pool built, he will do ALL landscaping work (including re-working sprinklers) for around $2500-3000. He said for us to tell him the kind of plants/trees we want and he can get them for us and plant them much, much cheaper than anyone else. His history with us makes us trust him.

Oh I envy you! If it all works out you are very lucky to have found him. He'll be a Keeper for sure!

Oh I envy you! If it all works out you are very lucky to have found him. He'll be a Keeper for sure!

Yes...we tend to get very "possessive" of him once the neighbors start asking about his services...lol He is very knowledgeable of what will and will not work as far as landscaping goes in our yard. As far as the front yard, we have limitations because of the deer in the area. He gave us a couple of references to folks he did pool landscaping for.

Yes...we tend to get very "possessive" of him once the neighbors start asking about his services...lol He is very knowledgeable of what will and will not work as far as landscaping goes in our yard. As far as the front yard, we have limitations because of the deer in the area. He gave us a couple of references to folks he did pool landscaping for.
Does he do work in North SA?!! Lol. Sounds like a dream.

I spent 6 months of my free time bringing in top soil to get the grading better for drainage- one pickup truck full at a time (maybe 10 loads total). I also hand dug trenches for my irrigation and installed system. I hired out concrete curbing for planters and I then bought and installed LOTS of SOD, installed landscape lighting, etc. Still planting plants, trees, and bushes as I see fit, it's more a design as I go process and it's actually worked out nicely!

I'm almost completely done today almost 9 months after pool completion and I'd guesstimate I've spent under $5k, but, the yard looks like a million bucks if you ask me! ;)

If you can find the enjoyment and satisfaction of some manual labor and the feeling of pride you get after you finish something with your own hands, I'd encourage anyone to give it a go. It's really more just a test in your patience than it is in ones ability. YouTube can help you with much of the how-to.

Get multiple quotes and with summer coming to an end prices may be better but not by much. Landscaping can be very expensive so consider doing thing in stages. I started with irrigation and sod then added just a few trees. I used rocks in some areas and did it myself so that saved money. I stayed low tech on my lighting and saved a bundle. I use solar lighting...some on my fence posts and some stuck in the ground uplighting my trees. Trust me it looks awesome at night, cost me less than $200 and looks like I spent at least 2k. If you are handy and want to install a transformer with low voltage light runs you can keep the cost down doing it that way. My biggest expenses were the sod and irrigation so all told I'm probably out 14-15k on 1.25 acre property.

The economy is good, folks are charging premium prices for everything because thats what folks will pay!

If you add palm trees, price will go up significantly. Sylvestor palm trees around me are $200 a foot for clear trunk... meaning an 8 foot trunk is $1600.... for one tree.

Id say pay a few hundred dollars for a landscape designer and let them design it if you dont have the vision like us. We went to a local nursery and the prices were more than half as expensive as the big box stores. Lay all the plants out and dig them in yourself. Itll take a few days but save you big money. All in, with a whole new back yard and front yard on a 1/3 acre lot we were at less than 3k. 1600 for sod install, 1000 for palm tree, and maybe 400 or 500 in all other plants. It pays to do it yourself if you have the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.