What can I put around my Intex?

Woodstock1234

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2020
Illinois
Hi all, Last year, I put up my intex in August and that's all I did. I did not do any landscaping or anything around the pool. I want to keep weeds at bay this year, so I need to put something around it. Right now it's just dirt and grass. I see most people put mulch or rocks, but I want something that can be walked on barefoot. I was thinking outdoor carpet, but does that get dirty and swampy? What about gorilla type padding? If you have any ideas. let me know!

I vote rocks & pavers (to walk on) around the edges with some weed barrier/ plastic underneath. Mulch just washes away. I feel like carpet would get gross & gorilla pad would get hot.
for the area where the ladder is maybe an patio/ rv mat would do the trick? They are plastic & reversable - i use one on my patio because it doesn’t hold the water like other outdoor rugs/carpet- they come in various sizes/ patterns
903A7C0A-D539-4AAF-9140-118EF4471F02.jpeg

I agree - nix the outdoor carpet and use pavers with rocks around them. Not mulch, it tracks everywhere.

Reactions: Mdragger88
i have had several pools thoughout the years, AGP, and because of not owning this home and finances, i have always used indoor/outdoor carpeting. it does not get swampy or muddy as i have grass all around it. i am the same as you, i want something i can walk on with bare feet. if you have pebbles or even mulch, its hard on the feet. when i had the smaller blow up ring type intex pools, i took down every year, hosed down the carpet, flopped it over the swingset or fence until it dried, rolled it up and used it year after year. I always put down contractor grade bisquine, and then i used the bottom out of and old liner underneathe the carpet. there are different colors, but green is the one i liked best.

Last edited:
i have had several pools thoughout the years, AGP, and because of not ownint this home and finances, i have always used indoor/outdoor carpeting. it does not get swampy or muddy as i have grass all around it. i am the same as you, i want something i can walk on with bare feet. if you have pebbles or even mulch,
sorry, i hit a wrong key and this posted!. as i was saying, those things are hare on the feet and i like to be able to walk all the way around pool. when i had smaller pools with the blow up ring, i too down evey year, dried it out good and rolled it up fot the next season. I do put contractors bisqueen down and then the carpet. last year i saved the bottom of an old pool liner that went bad and used underneath for extra protection also. Good luck.

So I ended up putting a stretch of outdoor carpet on the front side to try it out. So far so good. It dries out super fast after it rains and the mud doesn't seep through to the surface. Will see how long it lasts.
I didn't want sand either. It gets too hot and sticks to your feet when wet. I will leave that at the beach.

Reactions: charliej
Good thread. I put my Intex pool up this weekend and can't figure out what to put around it. My wife suggested sand but that's ALOT of sand. I don't feel like hauling all of that.
i have kids, i dont like sand tracked everywhere. if it werent for that...i would have opted for sand. so easy! i have foot baths, but still, sand finds its way into pool and house. i put one at the base of ladder, one before they step onto patio.

I have had , sand, mulch, & large wash gravel (fairly smooth). I prefer the gravel - it stays where u put it unlike mulch or sand.
I just put several pavers under the ladder area to step on & made a path of them to get to the pump. We also had a large tupperware container as a foot bath.

I am a big fan of the 3' x 13' Artificial grass from Sam's Club for $80. It works great around the pool entry. I only needed one of them. I cut it in half for two 3'x7.5' and angled it around my 18' round intex. Beyond the 3', my grass yard has held up well, but the artificial grass protects the 3' up to the pool. I also have 1' square concrete paver stones (~$1 a piece) leveled around the entire perimeter of the pool. The pool legs sit on the stones. Grass has remained healthy right up to the stones (except for the entry point where I use the artificial grass). The leveled paver stones installation was a one time pain, but it makes leveling SO much easier (Minnesota, so I take it down in September and put it back up in May). I just take a 10' 2x4, place one end in the dead center and push it around the stones in a circle, adding/removing leveling sand if needed. The end result is a perfectly level and smooth surface to place the pool on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.