What are these???

Jan 9, 2019
FL
In the last 2 weeks after rain the pool water rises and gets at the coping level. Today after rain stopped here is what showed up on my water surface. If anyone can help me determine what are these bugs I would really appreciated it . How can I get rid of them?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Looks like Boatman bugs. Do some searches on YouTube to see if they look like what you're seeing. They typically thrive if there's algae in the water (that's what they feed on). If you have lakes of freshwater nearby, that's a likely source.

I have a pond nearby. I just did OCLT test in the last 2 days and it it negative. I keep my FC at 10ppm. The strange thing is that they don"t die in chlorine. How can I get rid of them?

Last edited:
Chlorinated water doesn’t really affect a lot of insects. You could try adding borates to your pool water to see if that affects them but it may not. I know wasps love my borated pool water ☹

looks exactly like what i found in my pool after heavy rain couple days ago. never seen em before. I figured they came out of the overhanging tree branch but not sure. No other water sources near by. My FChasnt gone below 5 with CYA of 40, and no CC. i turned my skimmers/pump up and sucked em in to skimmer and they came out with the bouffant "skimmer sock" Greyish and very tiny, but they crawled up my hand fast when i touched the area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wow, thanks!!! Thats them. Thinking back, i think the morning i found them was after the kids left the pool light on. i thought it was a small oil slick, but when i touched it, they sprung up my hand. very creppy, but glad to see harmless

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.