What are the options for controlling equip

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
I have no idea of what types of equip controls I am getting. Nothing in contract specified and the only thing I recall him saying was that I could control the spa with a remote.

So what are the possible options from manual to automation? The builder uses Hayward. I'm wanting a little insight before I ask the builder anything. Thanks

OmniLogic.jpg

https://player.vimeo.com/video/110595684

Is it safe to assume that if the builder is using Hayward that allows the use of a remote control, that it will be an omnilogic?

I have another question with automation. Our pool will have three led lights, one in the spa and two in the pool. Are the LED lights fixed colors or can the colors be changed with the omnilogic? Or is that a special LED bulb.

I am wondering what all I can control, assuming we get the omnilogic. Below is a list of some things I can think of. What can be automated?

On the spa,
waterfall on/off
blower on/off
heat pump/on/off, chill/heat
LED lights on/off, color change?

In the pool,
Bubblers on/off
deck spouts on/off
robot vacuum, on/off (runs off booster pump I think)
Pump speed

Ambient lighting, on/off, color change?

You should get a TriStar VS 2.7 hp pump.

The ColorLogic lights can be 12 or 120 volts and are controllable.

1634518760534.png
On the spa,
waterfall on/off
blower on/off
heat pump/on/off, chill/heat
LED lights on/off, color change?

In the pool,
Bubblers on/off
deck spouts on/off
robot vacuum, on/off (runs off booster pump I think)
Pump speed

Ambient lighting, on/off, color change?
All of that should be doable with OmniLogic.

Verify with Hayward for the best configuration and to confirm exact functionality.

You can add relays or valve actuators to control things.

I got the newer OmniPL system which is cheaper than the older OmniLogic panels and uses the same OmniLogic control software and app. I absolutely love it!

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should get a TriStar VS 2.7 hp pump
The builder spec was for a 1 HP Tristar rated 1.85 HP and a 50,000 gal SWG. He is supposed to get a price for a variable speed pump.

Also, the contract says two color logic LED's for the pool. On the spa is just says one LED but nothing specific.

I don't know what all that can or should be automated. Our daughter will love the color LED's. I will have two bubblers on the tanning ledge, may have a few deck spouts, want some perimeter landscape lighting and some to shine on some palm trees. The blower in the spa, the waterfall, a few deck spouts, the heatpump,...

If the controller will maintain the ph /chlorine, etc. that may be worthwhile.

My builder is old, may not care and probably not one to seek out new technology.

James, why did you suggest TriStar VS 2.7 hp pump instead of a smaller hp like the builder was going to use? I understand the variable speed benefit but for a pool my size would I benefit from the larger one?

Where can I look online to get an idea of prices? My builder was supposed to be getting me a price difference on the pump but as usual, did not follow through. I will do it, just want to get an idea for my own sake.

Are the color logic LED's individually addressable over the RS-485 or is is a broadcast message? I might want one color in the spa and something different in the pool.

My quote is pretty simplistic and I'm now just starting to look a little into the details. With my builder, it's like pulling teeth to get information. If I don't know what to ask, he's not going to offer.

We had a similar experience when we built our pool back in May / June. The builder did good work, but didn’t give us much info during design and followed the “rules of thumb” for the equipment
I’d suggest you ask your builder for a dimensioned drawing of the pool, plus a complete bill of materials. This is information he already has. Once you have that, come back here and post it in the Under Construction forum and request feedback. The folks here will help you develop a list of questions for your builder

I’m running the tristar 900 VS pump on my small pool and never run it over 1750rpm. Most of the time it’s below 900rpm and it’s essentially silent. This flow is sufficient for heating the pool, chlorinating, and skimming tons of leaves. Again, my pool is small and only has one skimmer for the return.

The color logic lights aren’t RS-485, but rather are cycled by a relay through the different modes. Odd way of handling it…. The OmniLogic panel gives you enough relays that you should be able to use one for pool lights and one for spa, HOWEVER, I’m thinking you’d need separate transformers. I think you would be able to control the lights in their respective “bodies of water” sections in the HMI screen and app.

Dan

I’d suggest you ask your builder for a dimensioned drawing of the pool, plus a complete bill of materials.
The shell is already in. Waiting for the retaining walls to be built and then can move on to coping/decking/equipment.
As for asking my builder,...he is old, doesn't do things when he says, lacking in communication, and the idea of getting a complete bill or materials would never happen. I will say, I've been amazed at how detailed some of the quotes are from other builders.
So, my approach is to find out information here that I can review with the builder as things progress.

From a Hayward video I watched, you can change the colors or even do rainbow colors. Also said you can reduce brightness in 20% increments. So all this is through relay cycling?
Yeah that’s correct.

You don’t even need relays - you can literally switch the power on and off to the lights at a certain sequence to set the color and brightness. The lights have two leads; 12v positive and 12v negative. Not that I’d advise that, but the light manual tells you exactly how to do so starting on page 9.

If I hadn’t done automation, I’d consider setting up an arduino to do it from my phone…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.