Well around fibreglass pool fills up fast when it rains

bselianakis

Aug 11, 2020
Montreal
Hi All,
I have a 2 part question

I just got a fibreglass pool a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that every time it has rained the well fills up with water to about my skimmer level. This prompts me to pump the water out with a sub pump which is fine, but will I have to do this every-time it rains? No one I know with a pool has soo much water in their well!!
How often should I be emptying the well and can I level it full of water if I do not empty my pool without consequences to my pavers. Also for fall/winter/spring what should I do to maintain my pool from possible damage from this well water? I live in Quebec and the winters here can go down to -30.

Thanks in advance

Was your pool set on to gravel or sand?
How high is the water table in your area??

I've never had water in my dry point well, so I can't say. I would drain it and keep an eye on it refilling. The water won't hurt the bottom of the pool itself, but this is a prime example of why you'll never want to drain or lower the water in your pool very much. THe water in the pool is holding the pool down against the upward push of the ground water.

Maddie

You will have to keep an eye on the water level. I have a sump pump in the sump next to my pool. I turn it on if there is a heavy downpour as all the water in the area seems to funnel to my house. You will need to keep an eye on this in the fall/winter because your pool water level will be lower when the pool is closed. I purchased a float switch for mine but haven't had a chance to install it yet. Keep an extra hose for your pump indoors or in the garage. With the variance in winter temps I've had a downpour while my hose was frozen.

Thank you for your responses! I will keep an eye on it and let you know if things “pop up” literally.

We had a a few showers but the water in the well seems to be remaining low so far so that’s a nice sign.

I didn’t notice a high water table on my property and when they dug out the pool there was no sign of any water! The simply dug and filled the hole and surrounding with 3/4 net rocks, the landscaping around the pool was also dug up and an additional 3/4 net rocks with a layer of crushed stone was put underneath my pavers.
I think maybe the water is coming in because of the 3/4 rock and as time goes on the dirt will come in-between the rock and slow the water from filling the well.

thanks again

I'm sure I'm not understanding everything about your situation. But what popped into my head: does your pool have an overflow? A hole or grate in the side of the pool or in the skimmer that automatically drains off excess water? And if so, where is it exiting on your property? Anywhere that could get into the well? I'm thinking your pool is acting as a giant water collector and the overflow is diverting that collected water right into the ground to close to your well.

And welcome to TFP! Glad you found us.

Please get some of this done and you'll get better answers faster:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.