Weird numbers at closing this year

Lablover1211

Jul 4, 2020
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
Surface
Vinyl
So, this whole season I have had nothing but 8.0 or above for PH (usually I have to adjust to get it above 7.4). My calcium hardness has stayed about 200-220. Alkalinity is 110. And then there is my dreaded CYA. Drained a bit twice to get it to 40 and stay in the range.. until now. Filled test tube and I can still see dot at 30. I want to close my AG pool this week. Am I safe to try and close to SLAM at what it’s saying is 12 for FC? I’m worried about the calcium hardness and CYA. Don’t want to have to drain pool right before close. Please help. :confused:

Thank you

Hey LL and Welcome back !!!!!

I can't remember people for squat. Dogs ?? I'll take each and every detail to my grave. :ROFLMAO:

Anywho, your calcium is fine and likely exactly where your heater manufacturer wants it. The vinyl pool doesn't care one way or the other.

30 CYA is 'normal'.. especially up north. Hold SLAM level for a day. Then pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to prove nothing is brewing. Then close away. :)

What is your water temp and overnight air temps? I ask because I have always lived in the southwest were we don't close our pools, just stop swimming when the water gets into the 70's.

Hey LL and Welcome back !!!!!

I can't remember people for squat. Dogs ?? I'll take each and every detail to my grave. :ROFLMAO:

Anywho, your calcium is fine and likely exactly where your heater manufacturer wants it. The vinyl pool doesn't care one way or the other.

30 CYA is 'normal'.. especially up north. Hold SLAM level for a day. Then pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to prove nothing is brewing. Then close away. :)
Hello again!! No worries on remembering… kids and dogs I’m a vault-everything else is gone lol

Thanks for the relief. As much as I watch the vids on this app, I have lingering? I’ve been doing better each year! Although, I was so worried about my PH being so stable, I bought a new testing agent to make sure. SMH. Thanks again!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.