We have started our conversion today!

We have passed the CH drop test and I am getting ready to add the stabilizer. The Ph is 6.8, but I read another post that said the readings won't be accurate while doing the conversion. Is that correct or should I do something about it?

What are the next steps? I guess I need to balance the pool before putting the salt in. Is there a specific order to follow? For example, calcium levels first, TA second? I'll go through the school info again, but the store always had me do things in steps waiting a certain amount of time between them.

Thanks,

S&S

If your FC level is 15 or lower, you should raise the PH up to at least 7.2 fairly soon.

If you post a full set of water test results we can suggest what to adjust in which order. Generally you do PH and FC first, but there are plenty of exceptions and special cases.

Those numbers are fairly good. Ideally, you want to get CYA up to between 30 and 50 until you have CC at 0.5 on two consecutive days. After that you can bring CYA up to between 70 and 80, which is ideal for the SWG.

TA and CH are fine where they are.

The PH is a tiny bit low, but nothing to worry about. Once you turn on the SWG it will probably come up on it's own.

You can go ahead and add salt now.

Thanks for all of your help so far. What does CSI stand for? I have been searching with little luck. Here is a sentence from the ABC's: TA contributes to the CSI which indicates the tendency for plaster damage or calcium scaling.

Also, when we added the CYA, the pool has gotten hazy. Is this normal? The tests haven't changed from what I posted last night. I do not get a reading on CYA, but I guess that's to be expected since the school says you may not get a good reading for a week.

S&S

From http://www.poolcalculator.com:

The calcite saturation index is a tool for estimating the likelihood of plaster corrosion or calcite scaling. The LSI, Langelier Saturation Index, is a very similar but slightly less accurate measure. The CSI uses pH, TA, CH, CYA, temperature, Borate, and Salt levels to estimate the likelihood of problems. A low saturation index means the water is likely to dissolve calcite out of plaster, pebble, tile, stone, and concrete surfaces (and perhaps fiberglass) which will eventually cause damage. A high saturation index means the water is likely to deposit calcite scale on the walls of the pool and in the plumbing.

CSI is most sensitive to changes in pH. With a plaster pool, it is best to try and get your CSI a little below zero, so that changes in pH won't shift your pool too far towards corrosion or scaling. With a vinyl pool the CSI can be kept more negative, which makes it very unlikely that pH changes could get the CSI into the range of scaling risk.

S&S,

Put in perspective, some of us have never used CSI and do not find it a necessary tool. As someone who has never used it, I think I can safely say it predicts conditions under which you pool water is likely to experience the precipitation of calcium.

If your parameters (CH, pH, TA) are kept within the ranges suggested, you will accomplish the same thing.

CYA generally does not cause haziness. Do you think there was a direct correlation?

Wow, quick responses, I love it!

The haziness started as soon as the CYA was added and nothing else was done or added, so that has to be it. The guy that installed the SWG system stopped by and said that on the initial dose of CYA, it sometimes does that and it would clear back up. He also retested everything and came up with the exact same results, so that is comforting. He raised the Ph a little, added some algicide60 and added the salt. He said I did a great job with the conversion and was amazed that I could speak the same language now.

I am supposed to wait until tomorrow to turn the SWG on to auto. That way it doesn't detect really high readings while it disperses.

I told him about this site and he said he would tell his customers about it. I also gave him one the the TFTestkit business cards. :-D

S&S

Thanks everyone! The conversion is over and the SWG is on! :-D The haze seems to have cleared up a little but not completely yet. :? Sabrina added pics to the series. They include the clouds from the soda ash.

I will post on another link related to any other questions that may come up. I will also keep an eye on the boards for info and to see if I can help anyone else...or at least provide encouragement since you are the experts!

S&S

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.