Way to tell if sand needs to be replaced

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I have read numerous threads re no need to change sand in filter unless it is not doing its job. My filter is 6-7 years old and up until this year have never had any issues. This year I am getting what looks like fine dirt collecting in certain spots. When I brush, it gets a bit cloudy but then next day it is back. Also may be some dead algae (but not losing more than 1.5 FC/day and passing OCLT after SLAM about a month ago so not sure if dead algae or something else.

Is there a way to check if this issue is related to sand being bad?

One thing I noticed is that when I backwash and rinse I could always hear a waterfall like sound from filter when I first start rinse and I no longer hear that which makes me wonder if something is not right.

About the only time a sand change out is recommended I THINK is when somebody converts from baquacil. Maybe you should consider just doing a deep cleaning of the sand bed.

Yup, a baqua conversion will gunk up the sand big time. The only other I have seen is someone who had their chemistry messed up for a long time and the sand calcified into a huge block.

A simple way to tell if the dust is coming from the filter is to rubberband a sock to the return jet. If the dust disappears, you found it. If it doesn't, wait a day or two and then remove the sock and turn it inside out and look for dust embedded. If the sock is clean, it could just be blown-in dust collecting in drifts where you have poor circulation. If the sock is dirty, the filter ain't working.

790d462f65c5d2803516ff026614d9c2.jpg
here is sand

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.