Water prep prior to closing

BlueWRXPride

Jun 18, 2020
Syracuse, NY
This year I am planning on having my pool company close the pool, but I'd like to handle any water chemistry steps myself rather than have them dump some chemicals in the pool that may not jive well with the TFP approach. What steps should I be taking with water chemistry before they show up for pool closing in about 2 weeks? Boost FC up to some level to have extra over the winter? I looked over the pool closing article in Pool School, but it looked like most of that focused on the mechanics of preparing the pool mechanics rather than the water treatment.

Get your PH in the low 7s and boost LC to SLAM level. (40% of CYA). It’s up to you if you want the added insurance of non-copper algecide (polyquatXX). If memory serves XX 30/60/90 is the strength and correlates to how many days it should last.

I went both ways and never saw a difference. It’s counter productive in a way as your higher FC will eat the polyquat and leave you with less FC. But then you’ll have some polyquat left too to make up the difference. I dunno. Too many maths and ifs and everybody likes their way. :ROFLMAO:

That day or the night before. The whole point is to close at Slam level. Once covered the daily FC loss is slowed greatly and the hope is it lasts until the water is cool enough. If you bring it to Slam and wait a week before closing, it will already be down a bunch by the time you toss the cover on. (y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.