Water overflow problem?!

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
Our pool is nearly a year old but we haven't had much rain since we got it. A few days ago there was a lot of rain for a few hours and the pool water got up to the coping while we weren't home. I expressed concern to my PB but she said it was fine and that it backs up a little with the deck, and our gutters all flowing through the same pipe. It's raining right now and I'm about 40 minutes of hard rain our pool water got up to about an inch below the coping. We noticed that water is pouring IN to the pool from our overflow drain. I'm freaking out a little. I texted PB and she said there might be a blockage in the pipe but they can't look at it until tomorrow.

Here is a video of the overflow once the rain had slowed down.

Thoughts?

A gravity overflow drain shouldn't have forward flow, unless the "output" end is far under water. If this happening regularly then the drain pipe is either blocked (most likely where it terminates) or it is not installed properly. Running a gravity drain pipe isn't rocket science, so it's likely the former, but... you should check it out with your builder present. Have them throw a hose on the drain and confirm the flow at the terminus.

So they had a grate on the terminus instead of a pop-up and a bunch of debris and leaves had built up underneath and caused a block. They put a pop-up in and cleaned it out but should that be secured in some way? It comes out with a slight pull from one finger... I feel like a little water pressure might send the whole thing swimming down the street to the sewer drain.

Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.