Water heating idea

Jun 10, 2017
Aliquippa, PA
It's about time to take my pool down for the winter. Here it's not going to come out of the 60's at night. I don't have a heater so I guess I'm done for the summer. Here is the question I have.

Over the winter I am getting an intex sand filter with a much bigger pump. I want to have a way to warm the water so I can use the pool more. I was thinking about getting black tubing and wrap it around the outside of the pool legs and secure it with zip ties and put the circuit back into the pool to warm it up. It is in mostly sun all day. I'm not thinking about the soft flat hose. Something a little stiffer and around a 1/2 inch diameter. With that circulating during the day while we are gone it should warm it up quite a bit.

Any other ideas how to warm a frame pool?

Hmmmm.....seems like I've seen something like that before on Youtube. You might want to check there and see what others have posted. It *sounds* like it will work a bit to me...but I'm not expert.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted next year if it works!

Maddie :flower:

I would be inclined to make the pipe bigger to get more flow through and make sure it's black to absorb more heat also the thinner the pipe more heat transference
If you still want to use the 1/2 pipe try running 3 or 4 pipes round at once connected to a larger pipe

I think you are significantly overestimating both the ability of an Intex sized pump to push water through 100 feet of hose, and the amount of heat you would get out of 100 feet of black hose.

I never thought of how hard the pump would have to work. I might want to go a little more and not get an intex but a better brand. I have seen people put 100 feet of hose on the garage roof to do the same thing. I was going to try and make it more compact and with the pool

I think that is going to be my ticket. I will build it over the winter and install it in the spring. I can make two of these in series. I can put down a few pavers in my yard next to the pool to put them on. I have to figure out the plumbing but that should be pretty easy.

There are be a number of folks that will tell you it won't work. Just once I would like to have someone actually do the irrigation hose pool heater and see if it works or not.

There are a couple of videos on You Tube that show some man made heaters. Personally, I though of taking my waterfall hose (already plumbed in, but buried) and hooking it up to a solar heater. The issue is that the 2" tube would go into the heater and I can control flow. On the way out, I have a 50 ft. run and the return line would go on the concrete and back in the pool.

Where is Marty McFly for this one!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.