Water feature installation

smartinkg

Aug 19, 2022
MA
Hi all,

looking for some input if I'm on the right path here.

I am trying to DIY water feature for my salt water pool. I have a concrete spill pot that goes on top of a pedestal (20x20 granite that sits on top of cinderblock) . The inlet pipe (1.5 in flex) goes through the middle of the pot (and the granite).
I'm thinking of using silicone to secure the flex pipe to concrete (would that work?)
would I need to add secure pipe to the granite first or just the pot?
The concrete pot was not waterproofed by the manufacturer, and I plan to paint the interior of the bowl using pond-shield epoxy. does anyone have any experience using it?

thanks,
Martin

Attachments

• img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 15
  • img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 15
You need to connect that flex pipe to a proper flange on the pot or it will leak. Silicone will not hold up and you’ll eventually get leaks.

Does the manufacturer of the pot have any suggestions for a proper flange?

Maybe something like this -

The manufacturer has been not helpful in providing installation guidance/parts needed.

If not silicone, how would I go about securing the pipe?

I would try to find a proper flange to install on the bottom of that bowl. The flange would get epoxied into place and then PVC pipe would go through the flange and get glued into place using proper PVC cement. It would have been better to use hard pipe there instead of flex as flex is too easily damaged and it’s not really meant to be glued. Personally I avoid flex at all costs and would rather thermally bend hard PVC. But it is what it is.

One other option would be to fish the flex through the bowl and secure the bowl to that base (with epoxy, not silicone) and then seal the flex pipe and the opening on the bottom using hydraulic cement. Then, after the hydraulic cement is cured, you should coat the inside of the bowl with a waterproofing cementitious sealer. There are many brands out there and Laticrete makes some well regarded waterproofing barriers, Hydroban is used a lot. After the Hydroban is set, you can then cut back the PVC pipe. Finally you can fill the bowl with smooth stones or glass or whatever you like.

I would try to find a proper flange to install on the bottom of that bowl. The flange would get epoxied into place and then PVC pipe would go through the flange and get glued into place using proper PVC cement. It would have been better to use hard pipe there instead of flex as flex is too easily damaged and it’s not really meant to be glued. Personally I avoid flex at all costs and would rather thermally bend hard PVC. But it is what it is.

One other option would be to fish the flex through the bowl and secure the bowl to that base (with epoxy, not silicone) and then seal the flex pipe and the opening on the bottom using hydraulic cement. Then, after the hydraulic cement is cured, you should coat the inside of the bowl with a waterproofing cementitious sealer. There are many brands out there and Laticrete makes some well regarded waterproofing barriers, Hydroban is used a lot. After the Hydroban is set, you can then cut back the PVC pipe. Finally you can fill the bowl with smooth stones or glass or whatever you like.
Thanks for the details. I'll try it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.