Water exiting through backwash hose during filtration

Good morning. I'm hoping you can help because I'm lost. Water was exiting through my backwash hose during filtering and there was low pressure. I was told that it was most likely a faulty valve. The valve was roughly 7 years old. I replaced the valve and the same thing is happening. Water also runs out of the backwash hose when turning the handle to a different setting. On recirculate, the pressure is fine and no water exits through the backwash hose. What is going on?

Have you checked the spider gasket? If that is damaged in any way you'll get a leak

I bought a whole new valve so I was thinking that the spider gasket in it should be okay, right? I did just take apart the old valve and look at the spider gasket. It had a piece of fuzz and very small wood splinter stuck in it. Also, it was pulled out of its track in one spot but that might have occurred when I pulled it out. There also might (maybe) be a small tear/gouge in one spot. Would any of those things cause the problem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought a whole new valve so I was thinking that the spider gasket in it should be okay, right? I did just take apart the old valve and look at the spider gasket. It had a piece of fuzz and very small wood splinter stuck in it. Also, it was pulled out of its track in one spot but that might have occurred when I pulled it out. There also might (maybe) be a small tear/gouge in one spot. Would any of those things cause the problem?
If it was off the track before, definitely. I wouldn't think a piece of fuzz would, the splinter possibly. Also, above, if the lines are reversed that would definitely cause issues as well. I had a sand filter that came with my pool go out and it was hard plumbed. I replaced with a hayward sand filter and the lines were opposite. I didn't notice and didn't change the plumbing and it leaked out the waste port and blew all kinds of junk in the pool.

If it was off the track before, definitely. I wouldn't think a piece of fuzz would, the splinter possibly. Also, above, if the lines are reversed that would definitely cause issues as well. I had a sand filter that came with my pool go out and it was hard plumbed. I replaced with a hayward sand filter and the lines were opposite. I didn't notice and didn't change the plumbing and it leaked out the waste port and blew all kinds of junk in the pool.

I think I had more than one thing going on. When it first started leaking, I think the spider gasket in the old valve was bad and the person who was trying to trouble shoot it reversed the lines when he took the valve apart and put it back together. Those crossed lines carried over to the installation of the new valve causing the same problem but for a different reason. Criminy. It's all good now, though! Although I do have a bit of a messy pool to get cleaned up. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

I think I had more than one thing going on. When it first started leaking, I think the spider gasket in the old valve was bad and the person who was trying to trouble shoot it reversed the lines when he took the valve apart and put it back together. Those crossed lines carried over to the installation of the new valve causing the same problem but for a different reason. Criminy. It's all good now, though! Although I do have a bit of a messy pool to get cleaned up. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!
I dealt with the same thing last year. I had 2 anxious boys ready to get in when I realized the old filter was better off replaced. I got lazy and in a hurry and just hooked up the existing PVC to it without giving consideration to whether or not the holes were in the same spot. I lost probably about a bag of sand into the pool and water went from very clear to very cloudy with a green tint. A few gallons of liquid shock and a whole lot of vacuuming got it back to normal though. Good luck!

I dealt with the same thing last year. I had 2 anxious boys ready to get in when I realized the old filter was better off replaced. I got lazy and in a hurry and just hooked up the existing PVC to it without giving consideration to whether or not the holes were in the same spot. I lost probably about a bag of sand into the pool and water went from very clear to very cloudy with a green tint. A few gallons of liquid shock and a whole lot of vacuuming got it back to normal though. Good luck!

I don't see any sand but it definitely went cloudy with a green tint. I didn't consider algae growth because I have kept the chemicals where they should be. I just thought the green was from the leave debris, etc. on the bottom that hadn't been filtered/vacuumed during this escapade and is now stirred up. Now I'm wondering ....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.