Water coming up through patio seam while pump is running

May 17, 2018
omaha, NE
Hoping for some experienced opinions on this situation. This is our 3rd year with an inground pool. The first year we had to replace the sand filter, last year we replaced the pump basket, this year we replaced the pump. After about one week of running the pump water began coming up through a patio seam about 4 feet from the skimmer. My guess is a broken pipe caused by something not being done properly when my pool guy winterized it.
I reached out to him and he responded that he recalled air getting in the skimmer last year and nothing was done improperly with winterizing the pool.
Is it unusual for a pipe to break underground if the pool was winterized correctly?

Absolutely unusual. The breakage is caused by frozen water (or a big truck driving over it!) Done properly, winterizing drains those lines that are close enough to the surface to freeze......sounds like yours did not get drained.

Followup to prior post: Pool guy came out, says he did a pressure check on the skimmer and that there was little to no reading so the skimmer has a leak in it and it needs to be replaced. I don't know if that make sense or not. If the skimmer had a leak in it as opposed to a pipe that burst, why would water be coming up through the patio 4 feet away from the skimmer? I'm having a hard time believing the issue has anything to do with the skimmer and still think it's from a pipe that burst because of an error he made in winterizing the pool. There were no issues last year with water coming up from under the patio at any point and time. I did have to add water more frequently at the end of last season to keep the water level up, so a leak in the skimmer seems possible, but water coming up through the patio because of it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.