Water come out of pressure release valve but RPMs are low

May 8, 2016
St Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've been troubleshooting my Polaris 3900 for a few weeks now. My RPMs are low - they struggle to reach 20. At the same time, my pressure release valve in the wall connector has A LOT of water coming out if it, even though it's screwed down all the way.

I've cleaned my lines, checked the in-line filter, backwashed, etc.
I have no limiter discs in the line.
I've tried three different pressure valves and wall connectors, to see if any of them are faulty.
I've contacted Polaris' customer support, but I haven't heard back for 10 days now.

Thoughts on what to try next? I don't want the water coming out the pressure release valve. I want it going to the vacuum! But I don't what's causing this, so I don't know how to fix it.

I have no limiter discs in the line.
I've tried three different pressure valves and wall connectors, to see if any of them are faulty.
Have you tried to put a restrictor disc in the line?
What do you mean that you tried 3 different pressure valves - were they all faulty?

If you disconnect the 3900 from the end of the hose, does the water stop coming out of the pressure relief valve and all go through the hose? If so, there's a blockage in the 3900 itself.

Have you tried to put a restrictor disc in the line?
What do you mean that you tried 3 different pressure valves - were they all faulty?
Yes, I have tried three different pressure valves. All have leaked water when tightened down all the way.

I haven't put in a restrictor disc, because my RPMs are already too slow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have taken off the vacuum and the backup valve. Water is still leaking from the pressure release valve.
What if you remove the hose completely from the wall fitting? If the fully tightened PRV is still leaking, you may have had a run of bad ones.

I know, the odds are against that - unless a whole manufacturing run was defective. Maybe try a different brand of PRV if you haven't already; there's plenty to choose from.

Maybe some sort of clog in the head unit?

What happens if you disconnect the head unit and hold the hose while someone turns the pump on?
What do you mean by head unit?

If you mean the vacuum itself, I've taken that off, as well as the backup valve. The pressure release valve still leaks enough water from the wall to make the water at the surface bubble like it's boiling.

I have two pools that I can think of one with a 280 and the other a 380, both have lots of let's call it turbulence @ the prv and I was second guessing myself if that's normal because I'm not familiar enough with pressure side vacs but, they're scouring the pool very well so I figured leave well enough alone. Teach me something on this subject :unsure: please.

What if you remove the hose completely from the wall fitting? If the fully tightened PRV is still leaking, you may have had a run of bad ones.

I know, the odds are against that - unless a whole manufacturing run was defective. Maybe try a different brand of PRV if you haven't already; there's plenty to choose from.
OK. This is interesting. I tired removing the hose completely - AND THEN the pressure release valve didn't leak.

It's progress. But I'm not sure what to try next. The next connection down is the in-line screen -- and that's clean. What do you think @Rocket J Squirrel?

Just this week one of my pools I wanted to remove the the vac so I attempted to remove it with pump off. It was so jammed tight it came out with bushing/fitting being completely unscrewed from the wall. It took two chanellock pliers to separate them. Go figure I guess it was forced.

I have two pools that I can think of one with a 280 and the other a 380, both have lots of let's call it turbulence @ the prv and I was second guessing myself if that's normal because I'm not familiar enough with pressure side vacs but, they're scouring the pool very well so I figured leave well enough alone. Teach me something on this subject :unsure: please.
I think the problem in some cases (not @Kelly Gordon 's problem) is over-powered booster pumps. My 1 HP Pentair Boost-Rite is way too powerful for my Polaris Quattro. I have the red restrictor in and the PRV deliberately open so the Quattro won't try to climb out of the pool. If I was smart, I'd buy a much less powerful booster and save on electricity too.

My understanding, from reading a lot of posts here, is that the pressure release valve is designed to release extra water. So if your vacuums are running great even with the turbulence, it's provably fine. (Do you know your wheel RPM?)

This started for me because my wheel RPM is low, which makes for a sluggish vacuum. I need the pressure that's coming from my pump to actually get to the vacuum - instead of the pressure release valve releasing it at the wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.