water cloudy

Back in the day when I was having CYA troubles, the strips told me my CYA was 30-50.

In reality it was well over 100. Strips are notoriously inaccurate.

The cc number is important because that will tell us if you need to shock more or if the cloudy could be from something else, or it's just dead algae that needs to filter out.

You really need to be sure that your CYA is accurate, but either way 1pmm chlorine is too low for a cya of 40.

See the cya/chlorine chart for your target levels, use the pool calc for dosing, and get yourself a TF 100 test kit.

Hope this helps.

Shocking is a process, not just tossing in some chlorine. You need to maintain shock level until you have wiped out all of the organics in the water. See this article for directions.

With CYA at 40 you should never let your FC level get below 4.

Also, keep in mind that it can take the filter up to a week to clear the water after the algae is all dead.

i went to the pool store today with a test bottle because when I tested the water this morning I had no chlorine again. I suspected my inline chlorinator was the problem and I was right. After I took it apart I got a bunch of crud out of the valve that was keeping it from working. This was due to a crummy closing last fall. It was our first year for the pool and I didn't know what to look for with the closers. They left the clorine pucks in the chlorinator over the winter. Any way, here are the results of the testing. Our pool gets full sun all day long as its sits on the south side of the house. It is a 40,000 gallon vinyl lined. Any suggestions? I did shock it before I left for the store.

Tot Chl 0
Free Chlorine 0
ph 7.6
CYA 70
Total Alk 155
Adj Total Alk 134
Total Hardness 200

Any suggestions?
I would stop using the pucks if you still are. You are close to overstabilizing your pool with a CYA of 70ppm.

Your FC should be 6-9ppm or thereabouts with that high CYA and, if you slip below that for a period, you'll be inviting algae into your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.