water circulation from the main drain, through the skimmer on deck

norcalpool1

Silver Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Silicon Valley,CA
There is only one skimmer on the deck, about 8-9" diameter, and it has two pipes (i.e. two holes going into the ground). One comes from the main drain at the bottom of the pool and it has the right VGB-compliant drain cover. The other one goes to the pump. There is a basket that sits in the skimmer and collects leaves and debris.

Here is the problem.. I assume that the water is really not circulating through the main drain. i.e. when the pump runs, water is sucked in from the top of the pool, and not from the main drain at the bottom of the pool.

Reading many posts and seeing pictures here, most people have the inlets from the main drain and from the skimmer available at the equipment pad and are able to adjust, with a valve, how much from each inlet gets circulated.

What should I do in my case? Is there a part of mechanism that will go into the skimmer and allow water circulation both from the top and the bottom of the pool?

I have the same issue. Only one pipe comes out of the ground to the pump inlet. I assume the main drain is either plumbed to the skimmer with a tee underground, or connected to the second port in the skimmer. Is there a way to detemine how my skimmer and drain are plumbed? I also have the same question about water circulation as norcalpool1.

There is only one skimmer on the deck, about 8-9" diameter, and it has two pipes (i.e. two holes going into the ground). One comes from the main drain at the bottom of the pool and it has the right VGB-compliant drain cover. The other one goes to the pump. There is a basket that sits in the skimmer and collects leaves and debris.

Here is the problem.. I assume that the water is really not circulating through the main drain. i.e. when the pump runs, water is sucked in from the top of the pool, and not from the main drain at the bottom of the pool.

Reading many posts and seeing pictures here, most people have the inlets from the main drain and from the skimmer available at the equipment pad and are able to adjust, with a valve, how much from each inlet gets circulated.

What should I do in my case? Is there a part of mechanism that will go into the skimmer and allow water circulation both from the top and the bottom of the pool?

Yours is a very common installation. No water will pull from the drain as you have it now. Water seeks the easiest path, which at the moment is through the skimmer opening. You're on the right track, though, there is indeed a mechanism. You need a diverter, which does go into the skimmer, and directs the pump's suction force between either the drain, the skimmer or both. Do you know the PB? You could ask him for one, or at least the model of your skimmer. Or contact the skimmer manufacturer if you can read their name off of it somewhere. Or post a picture of the skimmer here and maybe one the TFP experts will recognize it...

What you have is a Combination Skimmers or Combo Skimmers. The main drain tied into the front hole of the skimmer on the poolside and the back hole or the deck side hole is connected to the pipe that runs back to the pump. Two main types of diverters are used in a combo pool skimmer (see pic below). If you close the valve underneath the equalizer, the skimmer is closed and the pump will pull water from the main drain. If that did not happen, then your drain is probably clogged. I have not tried closing the main drain and pull water from the skimmer only. But I guess it is possible by inserting a plug or tennis ball onto the pipe closer to the pool.

Here's a youtube video to better understand how the skimmer equalizer work > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-_Ux7ogCY

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.