Water Chlorine HELP

Rudol2bm

May 22, 2019
Grand Blanc, MI
Hey there, new pool owner that thought she knew what she was doing here (I’m going to try and make a long story short). So my husband and I opened our pool last Saturday. When we opened it, it had a chlorine level of zero and was cloudy and green. We shocked it, retested a little later (so of course it was high at this point) and the green color disappeared but the cloudiness persisted. We kept checking at dawn/dusk and adding chlorine until the level didn’t drop more than a point overnight. We borrowed our neighbors vacuum a few times (ours comes Friday) and we’ve been running the filter around 8 hours a day. The cloudiness is gone and I can finally see the bottom but the fc level dropped from 4.2 to 0 within a day and I’m not understanding why. I know you are supposed to add if the level drops below 2.5-3 ish. I hope this made sense and someone catches on to what I’m saying

Hey there, new pool owner that thought she knew what she was doing here (I’m going to try and make a long story short). So my husband and I opened our pool last Saturday. When we opened it, it had a chlorine level of zero and was cloudy and green. We shocked it, retested a little later (so of course it was high at this point) and the green color disappeared but the cloudiness persisted. We kept checking at dawn/dusk and adding chlorine until the level didn’t drop more than a point overnight. We borrowed our neighbors vacuum a few times (ours comes Friday) and we’ve been running the filter around 8 hours a day. The cloudiness is gone and I can finally see the bottom but the fc level dropped from 4.2 to 0 within a day and I’m not understanding why. I know you are supposed to add if the level drops below 2.5-3 ish. I hope this made sense and someone catches on to what I’m saying
If you have no or low CYA, you will lose all your chlorine in a matter of hours.

Start yourself off easy. Read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry so you can understand our lingo. Then we'll do a serious analysis of what's
going wrong.

Okay so we did a CYA test and it’s less than 30. Our pH is 7.4, alkalinity = 200, CH = 120, and CC is less than .5
Then it's time to SLAM Process That's Shock Level And Maintain.Most people get the shock part, but the maintain is what gets 'em.

It's your choice if you want to try raising the CYA to 30 first or not.
If you leave it as-is, you bring FC up to 10. If you add CYA, then you target 12 FC. And you keep it there for as long as it takes until you pass the three tests in the SLAM Processarticle.

You're not green anymore, so just a few days ought to do it. Brush til your shoulders can take no more. Vacuum blindly if you must. You'll get this. Plenty of others have. Check out some of the old threads I saved here: Recovering my old inspirational links Newer ones are last.

Then it's time to SLAM Process That's Shock Level And Maintain.Most people get the shock part, but the maintain is what gets 'em.

It's your choice if you want to try raising the CYA to 30 first or not.
If you leave it as-is, you bring FC up to 10. If you add CYA, then you target 12 FC. And you keep it there for as long as it takes until you pass the three tests in the SLAM Processarticle.

You're not green anymore, so just a few days ought to do it. Brush til your shoulders can take no more. Vacuum blindly if you must. You'll get this. Plenty of others have. Check out some of the old threads I saved here: Recovering my old inspirational links Newer ones are last.
We slammed the pool, have been scrubbing and running filter/vacuum everyday. Last night and this morning the readings were the same (7.5) but when we returned from work just now it read 0. I’m starting to think we are doing something wrong. Should we try bringing cya up first (still less than 30) or take it to the pool store??

We slammed the pool, have been scrubbing and running filter/vacuum everyday. Last night and this morning the readings were the same (7.5) but when we returned from work just now it read 0. I’m starting to think we are doing something wrong. Should we try bringing cya up first (still less than 30) or take it to the pool store??
If you lose it all, you definitely need some CYA. Just remember to raise the FC level to account for the higher CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.