Semmes, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I performed an Ascorbic Acid treatment about a month ago & the water is now very clear and though all of the staining initially lifted, I do have a few light spots re-appearing. Truthfully, I expected this because the initial staining was very bad. My plaster was a dark tan giving me an emerald green water hue before the treatment. Plaster is now creamy white with a a turquoise blue water hue. Eliminating the stains completely will likely require a drain and refill after another AA treatment to get most of the iron out of the water. Most likely a fall thing after the summer swim season.
My question for now is where should I maintain my PH /TA levels?

The AA instructions recommend keeping FC as low as possible based on the CYA chart and maintaining PH below 7.2. With these numbers in the Pool Math App, my CSI hovers between -8.0 & -1.0 which could be damaging to the plaster. I should note that this is the CSI from the Iphone APP. The same numbers entered into Pool Math return a CSI of -7.1 Not sure which one to believe. Either way, both are out of range.

I have played with some various scenarios in pool math & the most obvious is to Raise tA to 90+ but... if I do that won't my PH increase more quickly? It is taking quite a bit of acid now to keep the PH low. I don't want to have to fight it even more.
Should I just wait for the water temp to increase? I know warmer water temp will help bring the CSI up closer to zero.

How do I meet the recommendations of the AA instructions and keep my CSI where it needs to be?

My current regimen is

Jacks Pink stuff maintained at 12PPM
FC Maintained between 4 - 6
PH Maintained between 7.0 - 7.2
Maintaining TA at 60 - Holding this low to keep the PH from drifting up quickly
CuLater pack in Skimmer
Polyfill in skimmer basket
Filter Fiber Stuff added to cartridge filter. (This stuff made an immediate difference in water clarity)

Latest Test Readings

FC 6
PH 7.1
TA 60
CH 250
CYA 50
BOR 50
Sequestrant Level 16 PPM
CSI -0.81 (in APP) -0.7 (in Pool Math)
Water Temp 80

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.