Water behind liner

roba31

Jun 23, 2018
ROCHESTER
I had water behind my liner in the deep end last year and it was always after we have had a bit of rain. So we figured it was the ground water or just water getting behind the liner from the surface around the pool. However we have not had any rain in weeks and we have water behind the liner in the deep end at the corners and going up the slope edges a bit. We also have a few wrinkles on the slope. We have not observed a drop in our pool water level. I am not noticing any wert spots in our yard and actually the grass is pretty brown due to lack of rain. Can we have a leak in the liner and not see a change in water level? When we had a new liner installed 4 years ago the installer stated that the foundation of our pool was so solid that we might not notice a drop in water level. Can this be the case? We just don't know what is going on. Any suggestions?

95% chance that's groundwater. The liner won't settle back in until you let the groundwater drain away. Any chance you have what's called a wellpoint so you can drain the water?

Short of that, the liner will sometimes go back to the correct shape as the groundwater subsides or it may go back with wrinkles. you may have to get in the pool and help the liner reseat itself.

@roba31 were you able to identify the source? I have a similar experience (no water level changes) and:
1. for last 2 years (our liner is 4 year old too), I saw some "black algae" on the liner - only appears when the chlorine level is low
2. this year, it began to "spread" and finally figured out that the blackening maybe coming from the inside? (not 100% but fingers crossed for next season)
3. also, rusting from the skimmer (and had to dump ascorbic acid almost every week which is expensive) which obviously is caused by leaking
4. when I removed the liner (only 7 ft or so to access the skimmer), a tiny bit of water behind the liner discovered (and vacuumed as much as I can)
5. aside from treating the rusting and applying POR-15, I also use silicon between the liner and the skimmer mouth (there is a tiny gap) - as water can get in through that slot / gap

I just closed the pool and will see how this worked (or not worked) next season - fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 20220917_172800.jpg
    20220917_172800.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 8
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.