Water behind brand new liner

Tyrone Shuz

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Bowie, MD
Brand new liner installed, and there are wrinkles. On the floor and on the sides.

The fellow came out and said there's water behind the liner. Now the last liner I got 10 yrs ago the same thing happened but not as badly, and I didn't know any better, so I just lived with it. He said the coping (and stairs) may need to be caulked/sealed. I'm fine with that, but couldn't he somehow test for that? I had an incident with my filter not long after and he fixed that, and that's when I asked him about the wrinkles, he pulled out the liner in one place by hand, and sure enough there was water. He said it was either getting in under the coping or under the ground.

He suggested that I call my homeowner's insurance and blame the water on the filter incident, which means he probably doesn't want to give me a break on re-hanging the liner. I have a feeling he sized the liner too big but I have no way of knowing. I'm a long time customer of this guy, and he's pretty straight up, but he just sold his brick and mortar business, and is now on his own.

Either way I have to drain the pool, if not completely very close to it, seal the pool, and rehang the liner, refill it (or spend $500 on a truck delivery) and treat the water all over again. Perhaps I'll wait till after the season. Is this just very bad luck for me, or should his installation have accounted for this possibility?

If YOUR company did the job, what would you tell me?

I've never had wrinkles after New install. And have been told u can't "reseat" liner and have it line up correctly with returns and skimmer already cut out. I believe it's his responsibility if u had wrinkles from day one.

I've never had wrinkles after New install. And have been told u can't "reseat" liner and have it line up correctly with returns and skimmer already cut out. I believe it's his responsibility if u had wrinkles from day one.

I am assuming that the installer believes if the water behind the liner gets sucked out, the wrinkles will disappear. He may be right, but am I just really unlucky or should that have been somehow tested prior to installation?

the installation company came out and estimated and saw the liner? It is on them since they did not fix the drainage issue and you still have wrinkles. There is a drainage issue, obviously since this is on-going. This would be completely on the liner installer. Calling your Home Insurance would open you up to a deductible and a rate increase for having a claim. I would threaten small claims' court to the installer. Take LOTS of pictures/video and record conversations with the installer if he is on your property.

FYI, even caulk around windows needs to be re-touched or caulked every year... I can't imagine any caulk lasting for long in a pool application.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.