Water Balancing Help (cloudy new pool (not plaster dust))

305miami

Sep 29, 2021
FLORIDA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone!

I've been using this forum as a resource for a while but currently going thru an issue that i need help in.

Resurfaced and filled the pool on by Saturday (aggregate finish) and Monday the company performed a 'hot start' / 'acid start up'.

They added approx 3.2 gallons of acid to the 9.2k pool and told me to keep two trichlor tabs to slowly raise the chlorine.

The pool was super clear so i went to my local pool store they used their K-2006 and got a reading of:
TC=0
FC=0
PH 7 (probably lower the owner just said that they don't go lower than 7)
TA=15
CH=250
CYA=20
TD=500

i added 3 LB of sodium bicarbonate 'TA increaser' (diluting in bucket and broadcasting) and 1.5 pounds of CYA (sock method thru skimmer)

also added a small amount of liquid chlorine and broadcast it thru a 5 gallon bucket i would say 16 oz but I'm getting 2-3 PPM in my aquacheck)

right now I'm noticing some cloudiness? probably due to the TA increaser.

should i be concerned? should i just wait and see? is it normal?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If those are indeed accurate test results, then there's no doubt the pH and TA were much too low, especially for fresh plaster product in the water. Tomorrow, test the pH to ensure it's up in the mid 7s range, the TA at least 60, maybe even 70 - 80, and the FC at around 3-5 ppm. If you don't have your own Taylor K-2006C or TF-100, that needs to be a priority. You can't rely on someone else's process, nor drive somewhere each time you need to test. You can do it.

The other concern is watching the FC level to ensure you didn't' already start to get algae. But we'll help you more as we get into the weekend. But work on those 3 items above, use our PoolMath APP, and let us know if you have any questions.

Also, no more pool store products. TA Increaser is just over-priced baking soda. That's it. Use the link below to guide you. It's a great resource.

Reactions: brazeal
Welcome to TFP! :wave: If those are indeed accurate test results, then there's no doubt the pH and TA were much too low, especially for fresh plaster product in the water. Tomorrow, test the pH to ensure it's up in the mid 7s range, the TA at least 60, maybe even 70 - 80, and the FC at around 3-5 ppm. If you don't have your own Taylor K-2006C or TF-100, that needs to be a priority. You can't rely on someone else's process, nor drive somewhere each time you need to test. You can do it.

The other concern is watching the FC level to ensure you didn't' already start to get algae. But we'll help you more as we get into the weekend. But work on those 3 items above, use our PoolMath APP, and let us know if you have any questions.
thanks will do!

Taylor 2006 is on the way and should be here by Saturday.

The water was super clear till i added the bicarbonate so i think i should be ok? i currently have three trichlor (the 4 in 1 kind) tablets for the past two day in the pool and added that small amount of liquid chlorine.

I also have polyquat 60 but unsure if it will interfere with new plaster so I haven't added it.

PH must have been super low as they performed the acid start up, but the next step is to balance the pool so that's what I tried doing.

Also, no more pool store products. TA Increaser is just over-priced baking soda. That's it. Use the link below to guide you. It's a great resource.

yeah i know :/ i just felt bad as the owner was giving me advice on balancing so i said fine! I'll take the baking soda lol

i think it may be these two points:
  • Microscopic CO2 bubbles from the baking soda reaction with the acidic water. The "fizz" when you mix baking soda and vinegar, just on a giant scale with weaker acid.
  • Calcium cloudiness from the rapid rise in pH. When they acid washed the pool, they dissolved a lot of the plaster into solution. And now it could be precipitating out.
should these two be a concern for the plaster?

The Poly won't hurt anything. The water may just need a day or two to acclimate to the changes. In the first 30 days of new plaster work, you want the "CSI" to remain slightly positive - see PoolMath APP for your CSI. Allowing the pH to rise is one of the quickest ways to increase the CSI if it's too low. Keep in mind that tabs are very acidic which tend to lower both pH and TA which you don't want right now. The link below shows you all the items we recommend and how to apply them which might be handy for you.

Reactions: 305miami
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.