Water Balance Question

Hello Everyone,

So, last night I went to bed with ... FC=21 This morning I tested ... FC=19.5 I added 8oz of chlorine to bring the water back to Shock.

I have a couple of questions regarding once I pass the OCLT test:

1) When is it safe to swim? (Please keep in mind I have little grandkids that swim a lot)
2) Once I pass the OCLT and FC is allowed to drift down to normal levels, what am I watching for?

Thank you very much.

Hello Everyone,

So, last night I went to bed with ... FC=21 This morning I tested ... FC=19.5

I have a couple of questions regarding once I pass the OCLT test:

1) When is it safe to swim? (Please keep in mind I have little grandkids that swim a lot)
2) Once I pass the OCLT and FC is allowed to drift down to normal levels, what am I watching for?

Thank you very much.
With CYA at 50, it'll be safe to swim once FC dips below 19.8 :mrgreen:

In reality, what you want to do is let FC drop below 10 and repeat all your tests. The pH test reads off when FC is above 10, so you need to be sure of what it really is. Then fine tune pH/TA if it's gone out of range and verify your CYA is where you want it. Then just keep pH in range and FC above minimum for your CYA level for the rest of the summer. Now that you're almost through the worst part, you'll be amazed at how really easy it is to keep the pool sparkling. Within a week or two, you'll be able to guess your test results with amazing accuracy before you even test.

I've got something weird that has happened the last day and half. I started Monday evening and for the most part have been checking the water four times a day. I usually only lost 1ppm of FC in between checks. My pool has gone from milky to crystal clear.

However, the last day and a half I've started losing 1.5ppm of FC in between the day time checks and my CC climbed from 1 to 1.5.

The only thing that I can think is that I opened the Hot tub drain a day and a half ago and we usually keep it closed unless we're using the Hot tub.

Could that newly opened pipe be impacting my FC and CC?

Again, the pool is now crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question regarding the OCLT...

Does this have to be overnight or can it be a set amount of time?

In other words, if I hold my FC to 1ppm or less loss for eight hours and the CC is 0.5 or less and the water is clear do I pass or does it have to be over night?

The point of the overnight is to eliminate the sun from the chlorine loss. So it must be done when the sun is not shining and usually easiest to get enough time by doing it overnight. I suppose if you stay up really really late you could get the after test done before bed.

I am happy to report that after a ten hour span my pool has only lost 0.5ppm of FC and has a CC of 0.5 and is crystal clear.

So, I've officially passed my first SLAM after three days. Thank you to all who helped and encouraged me in this thread. Also, a big thanks to this website and everyone who officially contributes technical help.

I have already started sending friends here.

Now, I'm looking forward to maintaining a TFP :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.