Waste line plumbing??

George in Georgia

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Jonesboro, GA
I have to re-plumb the waste line because it leaks at an elbow fitting. 1-1/4" poly pipe. The thought just occured to me: since the waste line isn't in constant use, and when in use the pressure is low, what about using automotive radiator hose, if available in 1 1/4" interior diameter? Critical alignment wouldn't be needed, and with my pump installation replacement of the motor would be greatly eased, allowing the waste line to be moved out of the way.

No harm in having a flexible pip for a waste line as long as it doesn't leak too. Why an automotive hose and not just get a flexible vinyl tubing from the plumbing section at Home Depot?

1595623451806.png

I went by Lowes' to check out reinforced plastic hose, they had nothing in stock with a suitable inside diameter. The radiator hose did the trick! I cut out the offending length of poly pipe with my saber saw (often called a jig saw), cleaned up the cut and smoothed the edges with my Dremel, smeared the poly pipe with silicone pool grease. The radiator hose went on easily, and is secured with stainless steel worm clamps. The waste line can now be swung out of the way for motor and pump service. The prior owner's installation made such service really difficult.

Since there isn't really any pressure back on the pump for a waste line then whatever routes your water where you want it without leaking will do the trick. I never would have thought about a radiator hose but those are under pressure with heat in a car engine so I'm sure it will stand up to what you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.