Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Hi all,
We've received several quotes and thought we had chosen our perfect contractor. However, we have a structural engineer in the family who was reviewing the quote and had some concerns about the pool wall construction - 16x32 pool with 3 1/2 to 7 ft depth. The quote calls for #3 rebar on 12" centers.
Our family engineer finds that to be inadequate for a 12" wall. Code books and calculations seem to confirm that as well. We're not sure where to turn for advice and don't want to insult the contractor but we are spending $100K, so we have to have 100% confidence that the structural integrity of the pool will last with no cracks. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Go out to a 3rd party engineering firm to verify the concerns of your family member. Then use that to discuss with the PB
Also, the PB should be able to show you why he has set the design as given to you.

7' depth is a little scary. It's too shallow for safe diving but people will be tempted to do so. I suggest you bump to a full 8'.

As far as the rebar, does it make a difference that the structure will be underground and filled with water?

Do pool building codes not require to have plans stamped & sealed by engineer or are they exempt according to municipal codes?

Also, we've received pool quotes with equipment from Jandy, Hayward and Pentair. Would really appreciate any advice on brand quality/problems.
Again, thanks!

received pool quotes with equipment from Jandy, Hayward and Pentair. Would really appreciate any advice on brand quality/problems
That is great as some PB only focus on 1 mfg. All 3 are great and I think you will find that many have personal preferences for brand names - just like Ford, Chevrolet. It may help if you can post the equipment list for all so it be easier to see what they are proposing. Something like pump, heater, filter, down the left side and the 3 brands across the top and fill in the data for each line of equipment.

Off the cuff, I could see where your relative thinks that it is not adequate, certainly do what you feel comfortable with. I am an engineer, however not structural. My general view of concrete though is that the concrete itself handles all of the compressive (pushing) forces applied to it. The rebar is there for tensile (pulling) forces. With a pool full of water and in the ground, I do not see any tensile forces that will be applied. If you have raised beams, walls, etc it may be more of a concern.

Again, not my area of expertise, just a semi-educated opinion. Does your PB warranty the shell? Rebar is not going to prevent cracks completely, have you seen other shell failures that you're concerned about?

Obviously if your soils are poor, the structural engineering gets more complicated I am sure. In GA, you may have some clay issues, if that is the case, I would be pressing the PB on how they are handling potential soil issues more than the rebar.

@OrlandoBull - Thank you so much for response and good input. In reviewing our other quotes, seems they all spec #3 rebar @ 12" centers - so I'm guessing the industry standard. Still researching -

I hate to lament this issue of wall design specs, but the total consensus at our structural engineer's firm is that #3 rebar on 12" center on a 12" wall is not adequate. Are there no code requirements for pools? This is a LOT of $$ to get wrong 5-10 yrs down the road.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hate to lament this issue of wall design specs, but the total consensus at our structural engineer's firm is that #3 rebar on 12" center on a 12" wall is not adequate. Are there no code requirements for pools? This is a LOT of $$ to get wrong 5-10 yrs down the road.
They say it is not adequate, have they provide you a formal proposal of what is adequate? How different is it? If you have a formal review, then you can use that to have an open discussion with your PB. It should not be an argumentative meeting with your PB as you are protecting your $100k investment by discussing with the PB what a 3rd party professional engineering firm recommends as adequate structural design. The PB should welcome the input and provide you a new quote based on that structural design you wish to have. If not, then find a new PB.

Reactions: Auburn02
Does that firm specialize in pool construction? This isn't a load bearing wall and the wall is buried in the ground. I would be curious to know what they think the failure could be on that wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.