Waiting for a replacement autocover, what to do?

DiscountBrad

May 21, 2023
Twin Cities
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30
Long time google-visitor, first time poster... This may have been covered here before but I haven't found it...

My autocover tore badly over the winter, along about 90% of its length, to the point where that whole edge is just hanging free, 4 feet under the water. My pool maintenance guy ordered a new one a couple weeks ago, but as of now he hasn't been able to estimate how long it would take to get in. At the time the crew measured for the new cover they said they wouldn't want to open the pool before the cover came in, though at the time they thought the cover would be in by now. Meanwhile, the pool is turning into 100% swamp and the cover isn't acting as a cover at all--everything that falls "on top" is in the pool.

I'm going to reach out to my vendor again tomorrow, but for now, my question is: what would everyone here recommend I should do if it turns out it's going to be another month or more before the cover comes in? Should I ask them to cut off the cover for now and insist on having the pool opened so the water doesn't get past the point of no return? If there is such a thing--I've had this pool for 7 years and the worst we had before was maybe 2 weeks' worth of downtime when the heater died, and the water never got anything like this bad. But we're starting to worry it's going to overwhelm our system's ability to chlorinate and filter the algae, etc, out, if we have to wait too much longer. If you think having the filter running without a cover would be even worse than what's happening now: should I be dumping chlorinator fluid in there to try to slow the decline into swamp? Any other ideas?

Welcome to TFP
I do not have a cover, but my thought is that you need to get out in front of this and you will be wanting to use the pool in a month so open it, start the pumps and cleaning up the algae in the pool now. Better to start now then to let it get worse.

Reactions: DiscountBrad
Welcome to TFP! Sorry we met this way. I do have an autocover. Recently, the stainless steel cable snapped when the cover was 2/3 of the way open. When the techs came, is when it was discovered the cable snapped. Of course they’d have to order the new cable.

I insisted they manually open/uncover the pool the rest of the way, however they could so that I had full access to the water. If necessary, when they came back, they could manually close/cover the pool and perform their repair maintenance.

It’s probably not too late for you to do the same. Ask nicely or not so nicely to return and open/uncover the pool.

Reactions: DiscountBrad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.