Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral VX 7T
Hi all

More and more often, when my pump/swg system start (timer regulated by swg controller), the green LED lights indicating FC output flash instead of steady, the controller show FC 0 output, and there is no chlorine cloud in the cell case.

I need to quickly shift from auto to on to off to auto modes for the lights stop flashing and chlorine production start.

I can't find any info in the product manual.
I'd like to get some advice first if I can trouble shoot myself before I call in a technician.

For info, I replaced my cell with a generic one about 18 months ago, but it is an issue I was already having, however not as often as now.
I'm afraid my FC will drop below levels if this goes on unnoticed for a longer period of time.
I have kept my FC above ideal range (FC 9 / CYA 70) as a prevention until I can get it fixed.

Thank all.

Hi again

I thought I'd post a quick vid of the issue, but the file is too big.

Also wanted to confirm once the lights are steady, they stay during the pump run cycle.
They would only blink / flash at the very start of a new cycle. If steady right away, or if I make them steady as previously described, then they stay.

Thanks again for your insights.

My VX7T does the same. Always thought that's intentional. 5mins w/o chlorine production at the beginning to ensure the pump is primed and 5mins at the end to ensure there's no hydrogen gas left in the system.

My VX7T does the same. Always thought that's intentional. 5mins w/o chlorine production at the beginning to ensure the pump is primed and 5mins at the end to ensure there's no hydrogen gas left in the system.
That would be a great feature, but going through all the manual there is no reference to such a feature.
Unless your SWG is more recent than mine (I think mine was built in 2013) and it has such a feature.
Or you may have a similar problem to mine, except I never got flashing lights after they turned steady.

According to the documents from the previous house owner, my SWG was installed in 2007. Manual doesn't mention that feature, but it seems to happen every single time, and it seems to be exactly 5 mins at the beginning and end of each cycle. Looks like a feature to me...

Just checked at the end of my morning cycle: It ran normally right until the end of the scheduled time, then it started flashing and the chlorine production stopped (no more bubbles in the cell), but the pump kept running for another few minutes. When I went back about 4 mins later, the pump had stopped, so maybe I didn't remember the 5min correctly. But I'm pretty sure that it's a feature, not a bug.

Remembered to check this morning: At the beginning of the scheduled time the pump started with the SWG lights flashing and no chlorine production. After 5mins, the lights stopped flashing and chlorine production started.

Looks like 5mins at the start and 2mins at the the end of each cycle without chlorine production.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remembered to check this morning: At the beginning of the scheduled time the pump started with the SWG lights flashing and no chlorine production. After 5mins, the lights stopped flashing and chlorine production started.

Looks like 5mins at the start and 2mins at the the end of each cycle without chlorine production.
Hey mate
Did the same since I never checked end of cycle at the very last minute.
if I get flashing lights at the beginning of cycle, they never go solid and I’m not getting chlorine production.
but at the very end of the cycle I get about 2 minutes of flashing without chlorine production.
sounds like you are correct, there is a period of no chlorine production at the beginning and the end of the cycle to 1- ensure there is flow and 2- clear the cell case from left over gases.
now I need to figure out why my lights don’t go solid at the beginning of the cycle, after the “flow check” period.
thanks so much for your participation though. I have just learnt about a great feature that was not described in the manual.
i wonder if all / other SWGs have a similar feature...

Hmm, that does sound like something's not right. Does that happen in all programmed cycles or only in one? If you are not using all 4 timer periods, maybe it could help to use one of the unused ones instead, e.g. replace period 1 with period 4? I don't think that it's actually a flow problem, because the toggeling through manual back to auto starts the chlorine production without further complaints.

When did this problem first occur, anything you changed? Or maybe an accidental overlap in the programmed cycles or some other inconsistency that confuses the system?

Hi

I only use 2 programmed timers (T3 and T4 are not available) so 3h in the morning and 1h in the evening for now, I'll increase with the demand as we progress in the season.

It could happen anytime on any program, there's no telling when it'll happen.
I'll give their support team a call today, see what they say

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.