VS Pump/In-floor cleaning system

Sep 16, 2018
McAllen, TX
I've been considering upgrading my SS pump to a VS. My pool has an in-floor cleaning system both for the pool and the spa (it's a six-port system). The only thing is that there's only one drain in the pool, so the debris removal from the cleaning system is fairly minimal, but I've been told the increased activity is better for the water (which might be a myth, I dunno). So, my question is, if I'm upgrading to a VS pump and running it 24/7 at 1750, will the flow rate be enough to even move water through the cleaning system? The current pump is a 2HP Pentair.

So, my question is, if I'm upgrading to a VS pump and running it 24/7 at 1750, will the flow rate be enough to even move water through the cleaning system? The current pump is a 2HP Pentair.
For circulation, that is more than enough. In fact, you can run much lower RPM if you want to. However, it is unlikely that the in-floor cleaner will work properly at that RPM. IFCs and VS pumps are not a very good mix. IFCs require high flow rates so you won't get much benefit from a VS pump. You might be better off with a VS pump and a robotic cleaner and don't use the IFC. Are there separate returns from the IFC heads? The energy savings is likely to pay for both in a few years.

The only returns are from the filter, I believe. I'll admit that I like the IFC because it lets me know that the pool is at least on and running properly (and the extra spa spillover is nice), but I would like to upgrade to more modern equipment.

The only returns are from the filter, I believe.
Yes but does the return line split into two, one going to the IFC manifold and the other going to normal pool returns (not in-floor)? Can you post a picture of the pad equipment?

As requested. The diverter valve on the right controls the spa jets and I believe the one on the left is the main drain. The previous owner used the chlorinator, but I have that closed and use liquid chlorine. There used to be a heater, but I don't currently have one.

Attachments

• IMG_3083.JPG
    IMG_3083.JPG
    567.6 KB · Views: 2
So it looks like the floor heads are the only water outlets into the pool. At lower RPM, they may not fully deploy and so might not be very effective. Again, if you want to use the IFCS, the VS may not provide much of a benefit. But it will still be slightly more efficient than your current pump. It just may not pay for itself over the lifetime of the pump. What is your primary objective for the VS upgrade?

The same as most, I assume - decreased energy costs, less noise, more options, etc. This is a nice pool (and the PO kept it in good shape), but there are some design limitations in upgrading equipment and hardware, I'm seeing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.