Vinyl Pool Bid....

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Thought I would see what you guys thought of this bid I got on our pool. I dont want the ozonator. Im gonna stick with the TFP method that has worked for me for so many years.......at least at first and then I might switch to SWG. maybe. undecided on that, but for sure TFP method to start. I did tell him I want to go cartridge instead of sand filter. I am going to have him put 1 or 2 of those led bubblers on the 8 ft extended step / tanning ledge for the kids to play in and 3 deck jets. I am think about having him stamp the concrete around the perimeter of the pool too... just like 1 foot for aesthetics.

What do you guys think and what if any other questions should I be asking?

I very much like the simplicity of this pool. Will there be any padding under the liner on the ledge? Steps?

Can you ditch the pump for a variable speed one? How much? That will save a ton in electricity.

I'd ask for a couple of GCFI outlets around the pool in the landscaping... you can plug robots in there, music, etc.

If possible, a hose bib in the landscaping would be a nice thing to have for watering flowers, putting a shower in down the road, topping the pool off with. Now is the perfect time to do it.

Keep us posted, please? Pics of the build toooooo?

Maddie :flower:

Ditto on a vs pump. Go with SWCG, it’s a no brained.

I am assuming two skimmers, if so, make sure they are down wind of the prevailing side and you will want shut off valves for both.

Smart saying no to the ozonator, it’s a moot point and is being pushed now by all builders. It puts more profit in their pocket.

Does this price include all the concrete depicted in your image? If so, ask for it to be graded at 1 degree away from the pool. Deck drains should be installed too. Stamped concrete while visually appealing can be somewhat slippery.

I would put two anchors near the tanning ledge so they can hold umbrellas on those smoking hot days.

i would also look at a rock waterfall, it’s amazing how that trickle of water can soothe your mind.

You will love this design. I have the same one :)

I disagree! Noooooo rock. Its getting out of hand all this rock being tossed about. Go for a nice fountain if you want soothing noise.

Your pool is gorgeous in its shape and simplicity just as it is.

Just *my* two cents.

They can be fake or real.

....and yet, to me, in suburbia, they look totally fake either way.

I say start a new trend!! Make pools look like....swimming pools again! Not "I want it to look like a pool in nature so don't look at the backyard except the rocks, cause all those buildings and fences in view aren't so natural, y'know?"

Curmudgeonly yours,

I very much like the simplicity of this pool. Will there be any padding under the liner on the ledge? Steps?

Can you ditch the pump for a variable speed one? How much? That will save a ton in electricity.

I'd ask for a couple of GCFI outlets around the pool in the landscaping... you can plug robots in there, music, etc.

If possible, a hose bib in the landscaping would be a nice thing to have for watering flowers, putting a shower in down the road, topping the pool off with. Now is the perfect time to do it.

Keep us posted, please? Pics of the build toooooo?

Thanks! Yes padding on top of steel step kit before liner. I also liked that PB said the liner would be a bit thicker there and very slightly ribbed on the steps so they arent slippery.

Good idea about the gcfi outlets! Ill do that. Im going to run some conduit myself to the landscaping for future landscape lighting as well as some water line for sprinklers to my landscaping areas. I can hook all that up later if the conduit and lines are ran before he buttons the ground up.

And...i had already talked to PB about running a line for a future waterfall. I can do one of those kits myself if the line is there. Ill run some conduit there too incase i want to light that waterfall.

PB sugested going with a variable speed pump to run the pool as im having him add a 3rd skimmer, 2 bubblers, and 3 deck jets. He said even with the VS pump he recommends a seperate pump later for the waterfall.

There is a hose bib already on the corner of the house where the main pool deck will be. Also, that square of concrete there inset into the house will be the equipment pad, as last year when we built the house, our builder talked us into rigging that spot gor a wholehome generator. Looking back, i think its crazy to drop 5k on thatfor the 1 time per decade oklahoma has a ice storm severe enough to cause long term power loss, plus i haveca big portable one already.

But it will make a great equip pad as it is hidden, already has electric, and even has a 1 inch gas line there if we ever want a pool heater.

....and yet, to me, in suburbia, they look totally fake either way.

I say start a new trend!! Make pools look like....swimming pools again! Not "I want it to look like a pool in nature so don't look at the backyard except the rocks, cause all those buildings and fences in view aren't so natural, y'know?"

Curmudgeonly yours,

Im out in the country. I plan on going with a tropical theme. Im going to plant some banana trees, needle palms and other tropical like vegetation that is oklahoma friendly.

I cant afford to vacation in the tropics every year with my 8 kids....so im going to bring the tropics here. ;)

Ditto on a vs pump. Go with SWCG, it’s a no brained.

I am assuming two skimmers, if so, make sure they are down wind of the prevailing side and you will want shut off valves for both.

Smart saying no to the ozonator, it’s a moot point and is being pushed now by all builders. It puts more profit in their pocket.

Does this price include all the concrete depicted in your image? If so, ask for it to be graded at 1 degree away from the pool. Deck drains should be installed too. Stamped concrete while visually appealing can be somewhat slippery.

I would put two anchors near the tanning ledge so they can hold umbrellas on those smoking hot days.

i would also look at a rock waterfall, it’s amazing how that trickle of water can soothe your mind.

You will love this design. I have the same one :)

So, my PB, who im liking, as he seems down to earth and straightforwad, despises SWGs as he claims they are horrid on the pools and equipment, comparing it to road salt on cars.

I told him about the TFP method, and thst ive used it for 6 years no with no issues. He replied that using bleach is fine as long as you put it into a running return like we do, and suggested that if i didnt want the ozonator he recommended i stay with bleach before going to a swg.

Im wanting to go salt eventually, and next season i probably will. Meanwhile once its open this year, im just gonna TFP method it.

He is the first person ive encountered in the pool industry that didnt shoot down the TFP method and said it was fine. However, I find it interesting his dislike of swgs though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like natural moss rock waterfalls, but based on this design, I have to agree with Maddie, as I believe it is overkill. Worst case scenario, have the PB run a line as I did with my pool. It is buried in the backward with a blow out plug. No waterfall as of yet, as I wanted to add later. My backyard is filled with a lot of moss rocks, all over the yard, including some beds and some fieldstone walls. For my yard, the waterfall would be a nice touch. I decided against it for now, as it will take away from the concrete design. Maybe later.

1) Skip # 6 (not need)
2) Definitely go with the SWG
3) # 7, Portland & Sand base instead of vermiculite

What type of support (brace system) is the PB using? My PB used larger brace supports and 6" sonic tubes filled with cement, all to support the foundation and patio. I have galvanized steel walls. Looking back, there is another PB that pours a 10' concrete base wall. In addition, they have a landing all the way around and a bench in the pool (all with vinyl liner). The pool looks really good. Do not know if there are PB's that use concrete walls, with normal base and liner in your area, but they do have advantages. How many skimmers (At least 2 of them) spaced apart, main drain and at least 4-6 returns for proper circulation. Other items covered in previous posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Im wanting to go salt eventually, and next season i probably will. Meanwhile once its open this year, im just gonna TFP method it.

Have the PB install a dummy cell on the return side (after any heaters) as adding the cell will be a breeze down the road. Just decide which SWG system you want. If the PB will not do this for you (even for an extra $100), I would look for others. We did this at a friends house during a liner change and re-plumbing of a bad design and the PB actually gave us the Pentair dummy pipe. This year, they are still using the TFP method, but eventually will switch over.

Is trucking of full off site included

trucking the dirt? No. Not needed. Yard is sloped a bit... about 2 feet slope over 20 feet. Not too bad. he will be using most of the dirt to put on the slope side of the pool as I do not want a retaining wall. The remainder, if any, he will dump on my gun range berm on property. It could stand to be a few feet higher. im on 2 acres. plenty of places I could use dirt. :D

I like natural moss rock waterfalls, but based on this design, I have to agree with Maddie, as I believe it is overkill. Worst case scenario, have the PB run a line as I did with my pool. It is buried in the backward with a blow out plug. No waterfall as of yet, as I wanted to add later. My backyard is filled with a lot of moss rocks, all over the yard, including some beds and some fieldstone walls. For my yard, the waterfall would be a nice touch. I decided against it for now, as it will take away from the concrete design. Maybe later.

1) Skip # 6 (not need)
2) Definitely go with the SWG
3) # 7, Portland & Sand base instead of vermiculite

What type of support (brace system) is the PB using? My PB used larger brace supports and 6" sonic tubes filled with cement, all to support the foundation and patio. I have galvanized steel walls. Looking back, there is another PB that pours a 10' concrete base wall. In addition, they have a landing all the way around and a bench in the pool (all with vinyl liner). The pool looks really good. Do not know if there are PB's that use concrete walls, with normal base and liner in your area, but they do have advantages. How many skimmers (At least 2 of them) spaced apart, main drain and at least 4-6 returns for proper circulation. Other items covered in previous posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Have the PB install a dummy cell on the return side (after any heaters) as adding the cell will be a breeze down the road. Just decide which SWG system you want. If the PB will not do this for you (even for an extra $100), I would look for others. We did this at a friends house during a liner change and re-plumbing of a bad design and the PB actually gave us the Pentair dummy pipe. This year, they are still using the TFP method, but eventually will switch over.

I will have him do the dummy cell. Great idea! im sure he will do it no issue. He said he would do a SWG, he just doesnt recommend them.

on #7, why are you against vermiculite? I thought that was pretty standard.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool builders who talk down salt systems are uneducated and ignorant to the facts.

most likely true, as are the ones who talk down the TFP method. But if I held that against a PB and X'd all the ones off the list who have ignorance of the chemistry... well... id have to build this thing myself... :lol:

A well mixed & placed cement/verm bottom or. 3 to 1 dry pack as Catanzaro mentioned are both acceptable.

Either will decouple the liner from the earth.

Let the builder make that decision, topography plays a role in the success of either. - this is one of the areas, where the customer isn’t always right.

- which manufacturer’s pool did you buy?

A well mixed & placed cement/verm bottom or. 3 to 1 dry pack as Catanzaro mentioned are both acceptable.

Either will decouple the liner from the earth.

Let the builder make that decision, topography plays a role in the success of either. - this is one of the areas, where the customer isn’t always right.

- which manufacturer’s pool did you buy?

Kafco steel pool with Latham Ultra seam liner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.