Vinyl Liner Patch around Return inlet

BT

Apr 26, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Hi All,

Do you think i can get away with vynil patch around the return? i have a HydroTools vynil repair kitit has a 6x24" vinyl patch. I was thinking of putting a patch on both sides of the liner then re-cutting the hole?
What do you think? I am considering replacing they pool next year so a short term fix is ok.

The rest of the liner is in good shape and very flexible.

pool patch.jpg

Wow! Long time from joining to first post! You have Intex information in your signature. Is that still current or do you have a different pool now?
Thanks for the reply...........you know i read the forums and learn alot i don't really chime in if someone already has the info covered but i read the threads regulary.

The poll is not intek i don't know how that info got there how do i get rid or that ?........i forget the brand it is a steel pool i bought used for $250 18 years ago LOL. i got my moneys worth. The liner is about 7 years old i probably joined then to get tips on installing a new liner.

The pool is showing it age starting to rust on the top rails but you can't get a new one right now so hopefully i can get away with a patch.

thumbnail_IMG_5095.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the water level is pretty low, from what I can see? Hard to tell with such an extreme close-up. I would like to see a slightly less zoomed view.

How did the liner rip?

A branch fell and made a hole in the cover so i had to pump the water low to get the leaves and cover out. The hole is one i cut in the liner when i installed it for water from the filter comes back into the pool. It was leaking a bit so i took the inlet out to see if everything was ok and i removed the top rail to inspect the inside of the pool wall. It looks good just the hole now has a bit of a ragged edge.

There is a rip at the edge of the original hole i cut in the liner for the filter water return so i wanted to just put patch material on and recut the hole.

here is a farther away pic i have 12 inches of water in there now. The hole needs to be there just the little tear on that needs to be fixed

Attachments

• pool  returnthumbnail_IMG_1704.jpg
    pool returnthumbnail_IMG_1704.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 21
Ah. Ok. Well, to be super secure, use two layers of patch from the inside of pool. One that will cover entire hole and the rip, and one that is larger than the first patch. Once that is done you can recut hole for return.

You could also try just patching the rip, same method as above.

Ah. Ok. Well, to be super secure, use two layers of patch from the inside of pool. One that will cover entire hole and the rip, and one that is larger than the first patch. Once that is done you can recut hole for return.

You could also try just patching the rip, same method as above.

Thanks i figured it would probably work..........i was going to put two layers on inside one outside, but you are right it will be much easier to do it on the inside and really it is the same net effect.

this is the patch kit i have

1623414096319.png

You can go into your settings and edit your signature and add info about your pool. I agree with Kelly reinforce the tear and then patch over the opening with a double patch, top layer larger than the first and round off the corners or just cut circles and use plenty of adhesive. I would let it cure 24 hours before cutting the new opening.

The advice to put the patches on the inside is because water pressure will be working in your favor, rather than against it. 😉

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The advice to put the patches on the inside is because water pressure will be working in your favor, rather than against it. 😉

thanks for all the tips!

well i put it on i used a cross pattern, did'nt see the idea about circles. It was tough to get all the bubbles out but the edges are solid. I think it will be ok.

i wish i would have put 3 layers small circle then the two large patches. But too late now

I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning do you think 16 hrs is enough cure time to cut the hole? I figure it is the glue sets fast.

by the way i think it is a Naamco pool

1623442552625.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.