Vinyl above ground SWG pool with substantial cooling fountain, TA 110, ph seems stabil 7.6. Should I lower TA? Even if just for softer water?

Jul 1, 2017
Houston
After a week of SLAMing the TFP way, I finally have an almost clear pool. I have slight fog, FC 12, CC .5, overnight drop still substantial 20FC; going to SLAM up to 30+ after tonight's swimming.

I am now fine tuning. With the fountain I'd expect TA to keep rising, but it seemed to steady out at 130, ph steady at 7.6. With a few adds of muriatic acid to bring ph down to 7.0 or so, both times it was back to 7.6 the next day, and TA is now at 110. The TFP recommendation for a vinyl SWG pool is 60-80. Is that necessary? Will it Feel softer with lower TA? I'd do it just for that. Will my fountain, which is necessary in Houston to keep the pool at a chilly 84f on "feels like 107f" days, have ph issues if I lower TA? What will happen with TA over time with the fountain?

The fountain (aeration) influences pH not TA. Your TA may fluctuate more from adding local water (increase) or frequent use of muriatic acid (lowering). If you are doing a TFP SLAM Process, simply stick to the required FC level required for your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. No need to give the FC an extra boost overnight. The TA recommendation for the SWG was such to help control rising pH for SWG pools (again - aeration), but if your pH is remaining fairly steady in the mid-7s, there is no need to go crazy trying to reach a specific TA number.
For now, I would focus on the FC testing to complete the SLAM and its 3 passing criteria. Remember the pH shows higher than normal when the FC is over 10 anyways.

• Love
Reactions: Concorde
The fountain (aeration) influences pH not TA. Your TA may fluctuate more from adding local water (increase) or frequent use of muriatic acid (lowering). If you are doing a TFP SLAM Process, simply stick to the required FC level required for your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. No need to give the FC an extra boost overnight. The TA recommendation for the SWG was such to help control rising pH for SWG pools (again - aeration), but if your pH is remaining fairly steady in the mid-7s, there is no need to go crazy trying to reach a specific TA number.
For now, I would focus on the FC testing to complete the SLAM and its 3 passing criteria. Remember the pH shows higher than normal when the FC is over 10 anyways.
Thanks. That last part might be why even though ph is testing in the 7's my eyes are burning just a little bit. The FC is still up there a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.