Vexing new problem with pool chemistry

Apr 6, 2017
TN
Hey:

Have some issues. I have an 15000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool with both a SWG and a chlorinator. I had some issues with metal, and used ascorbic acid and Metal Free. Great results. Shocked the pool for a kid party - wrong. Re-treated with ascorbic acid and Metal Free again. Great results.

Then, natural disaster with storms - and no power for some days. Pretty blue, but murky opaque water. Local pool company suggested White Lightning 3#, since I couldn't use regular shock. Turned my blue water greenish.

Took water in for testing today. No free chlorine (new salt cell hasn't been producing enough chlorine, though the ill-advised shock seemed to get the chlorine up). Salt 2200. CYA 60. pH 7.2

Since then, on pool company advice, have added 2 chlorine tabs to the chlorinator and one 40# bag of salt, along with 3 more lbs of White Lightning. There is also some clarifier from PoolTime and some algaecide in the mix. My pool is now greener than it was. I don't think this has anything to do with algae. It is some sort of chemical reaction.

Pool company advises time. Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

Becky

I strongly suggest you read up on Pool School. It looks like you're adding too many chemicals you don't need. Here we practice using only bleach or SWG for sanitation. Also, stay away from pool store and do your own testing.

Before anyone can help, we are going to need a full set of test results. To do so, there are two test kits this site recommends. The TF100 or the Taylor K-2006.

Sounds like copper.

Don't know what the White Lightning is... But rising pH and/or CL, can turn copper in the water green, which is probably contained in the algaecide that you added as well.

I agree with spinPHD... Stop going to the pool store. Get a good test kit, and post the numbers.

Wow.

Well... first thing. I have no idea what White Lightning pool chemical is. Google doesn't either. I suspect its a non-chlorine oxidizer -- monopersulfate.

Anyway, adding that much of ANY oxidizer, including bleach, is going to destroy any metal sequestrant in the water AND oxidize any metals and turn things pretty colors. Or maybe not-so-pretty. And who knows what all these other snake oils are adding to your witches' brew?

What you needed was bleach. The bleach you buy is no different that the chlorine you generate onsite with your SWG. It's the same process just on a smaller scale and you eliminate all the middlemen and jugs. You still need bleach. Lots more than your SWG can generate. How much? No way of knowing without good, reliable test results. You won;t get them from the pool store.

You need a test kit and the SLAM Process article and bleach quite possibly a partial water drain depending on what your test results say. There ain't no quick fix. There's still plenty of time to order a kit and have things sparkling well before 4th of July. Get away from the pool store and start spending your pool budget wisely. Start at TFTestkits.net and get a TF100 plus the XL option plus whatever salt test kit you prefer. It'll repay itself many times over before the Summer is through.

Stop playing Pool Store Wheel of Fortune. The only Fortune is what you spend.

dbtgallery.php

I strongly suggest you read up on Pool School. It looks like you're adding too many chemicals you don't need. Here we practice using only bleach or SWG for sanitation. Also, stay away from pool store and do your own testing.

Before anyone can help, we are going to need a full set of test results. To do so, there are two test kits this site recommends. The TF100 or the Taylor K-2006.

Let me say, I usually count on the SWG, but it goes out sometimes and I wind up using 3" tablets while waiting on parts. The only reason I used the non-chlorine shock was because I had used the ascorbic acid for metal staining. I used polyquat 60, not a copper based algaecide prior to keeping the filter off and the pool looked great after treatment.

Having bored you with all that - I have ordered the Taylor test kit and will have it Fri. and post some numbers.

Thanks for your help,

Becky

If I added straight chlorine, would I not wind up with the same problem of metals precipitating out again?
Yes. But you'd kill the algae. And if the stuff precipitated out as rust from Iron, a lot of times the particles are big enough to filter out and backwash away. Once all the algae is dead, then you get to repeat the ascorbic acid and sequestrant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.