very slight algae

As FPM, said anything below the shocking level for your cya level is considered safe to swim. So, if the pool looks clear (and only if it looks clear, since if it isn't clear you probably shouldn't have swimmers in it), on the day of the swimming guests, just don't add any chlorine in the morning and wait till the end of the day to bring it up to your shock level.

However, if you are having swim guests for multiple days, or if the pool is not clear, then you really need to finish the shocking process before the swimming. When are your guests coming and for how long?

If you still have a day or more until swimming, you can hit it hard with the Mustard Algae level (44 ppm FC for 80 ppm cya per poolcalculator.com), it is harder on equipment, and will likely use a little more chlorine, but will speed up the clearing process. What pool surface do you have?

Then, if you do not have enough sun/time to drop the chlorine level nomally, you can consider something like odium thiosulfate to reduce the FC level quickly. It usually can be purchased at a pool store. FYI, this approach is not generally suggested on tfp because it is extra stuff that is not normally needed for a trouble free pool.

Thanks for everyone's help...guest coming mid week through weekend. Pool looks great but still is showing FC drop each day, so I'm really just wondering what else to do since I can't seem to pass the three steps!

I'm trying to stick with your program but I went with a SWG so I wouldn't have to keep dealing with liquid chlorine....... Losing faith

My pool smells like the YMCA! Awful! Hahahaha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 83
Well that smell (likely CC even if not measurable in test) and the fact that you are still loosing FC overnight says you are still fighting something. You have some time, so I would keep it up/above you FC shocking level until you pass the OCLT. You definitely are closer than you were two nights ago since you had much less OCLT. 9 yesterday morning only 2.5 this morning...much improved. Keep with the process, it is working and I think you are close and I bet you will be good to go come Wednesday! Make sure the swg is off during the OCLT.

Thanks...the smell I was referring to is the chlorine! Very strong! I still think my FC loss last night was still closer to 9 ppm since it was at 31ppm around 4pm and down to 25 at 1030 and then down again to 22.5 in the morning....seems like another big drop.

I'm just really questioning my measuring....seems to need almost nothing to keep it at 30 during the day but then it just drops late in the day....I'm running SWG during day but yesterday it turned off at 7pm and then I leave it off all night to do OCLT test in morning. That is when the drop in FC is showing up...after SWG is turned off

Just want to be sure I'm not missing something and having a hard time convincing everyone else that I'm doing the right thing!

Lisa

Is there sun on the pool from 4 to dusk? If yes, then the sun ate up some of the chlorine. The 2.5 ppm was after the sun was down and before the sun was up (and on the pool)? If yes, then that is a valid OCLT.

Not so funny story: Crystal clear pool but I kept losing chlorine overnight and could not figure out why until . . . one morning I found ducks swimming in my pool. They had turned my pool into their private lake. :rant:
Got rid of ducks, passed OCLT. :whip:
Could it be those ducks relocated to your pool? :splash:

OCLT test this morning....FAILED!

Last night at 10pm
FC-25.5
CC-0

This morning 7am
FC- 22
CC-0

I'm going backwards!!! I'm really beginning to believe that I am the failure at accurately testing. What still makes no sense to me is how i can keep pool at 30FC all day with minimal addition of bleach but then from my last afternoon test till I do my final test after dark before bed I loose 5ppm?

Again I tested at 4pm using the 5ml sample and it showed 30ppm and i didn't need to add anything....then I leave for the evening and when i come back I've lost 5ppm......the whole sunny day i barely lost 1ppm?

Well, I'm going to quit for now and see what happens......

thanks for your help

Lisa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now is the time for some more POP (pool owner patience) as far as I can see you have only really been doing the shocking process for ~4 days. That really is not very long, not that I think you have that much longer to go.

If you stop now, it is likely you will just be doing it again soon and then it will likely take much more time.

In this post I mentioned raising it up to mustard shock level since you have company coming. That is still an option.

Some people on this forum have gone from green cess pool to clear in a week....I only had the smallest amount of algae and my water has always been clear.....even when I started and brushed the algae there never was enough to cloud the water....is there such a thing as chlorine resistant algae? I have always kept my FC at 5 ppm so how did I get it in the first place.....it came after a real major rain storm....which we get frequently here all summer.....I can't imagine doing this all summer....Florida pools are a different animal. I never ever had trouble with my SWG pool for years in Cincinnati....I've been here a year and 2 months and I'm ready to fill it in!

Right now my water is crystal clear and not a thing when I brush. The only reason I can think of why my chlorine drop is now larger overnight is because my testing is flawed. I've actually started the process of shocking a week ago when I first noticed a tiny cloud. I raised to 30" ppm and ordered test kit....which was here 2 days later the day in between I added chlorine by a guess and tested when my kit got here and I had only fallen to 25 ...I'm not faulting your process, just think I'm the week link....in testing

Have you checked for hiding places for algae?

If you have underwater lights, they could be removed from their niche and the niche brushed/cleaned out. Same for ladders, etc. If you have fountains, or waterfalls, or other water features, they also need to be run while the pool is being shocked.

It would be helpful if you edit your sig and add your pool and equipment specs :)

I found Algae when I did my weekly brushing.....wouldn't have even noticed it without doing that. Small cloud of green came up while brushing mostly on the bottom, very slightly on the sides. when the steps and bench were brushed it was a very definite green cloud. never enough to completely cloud up the water, but you could see where I had brushed and where I had not.

I have removed the one light....brushed the inside of the casing and all around the light and I did not find any algae in there. I have thoroughly cleaned the cartridge filter everyday, including wiping out the filter case. I have no toys or stairs to be hiding anything. I've cleaned the pump screen, the skimmer basket. My brush is a stiff one with wire bristles inside...I'm brushing every inch!

I've been able to follow the shocking process last week and over the weekend but today I'm not at home and all I could do was raise the chlorine above the shock level this morning.....not there to keep it up all day. that is probably where my frustration lies....I thought because of catching the algae early I would have kicked it by now.....don't know how most people can follow throught with this process for more than a few days. ( I have to work)

Water was crystal clear when I left....won't be home till after 7pm. I raised it to 35ppm this morning. As I said...this is it. I can do no more and have company coming by Wed. Evening so I need the chlorine to come down now.

I updated my signature. thanks again for the support.

linen said:
If you still have a day or more until swimming, you can hit it hard with the Mustard Algae level (44 ppm FC for 80 ppm cya per poolcalculator.com), it is harder on equipment, and will likely use a little more chlorine, but will speed up the clearing process

Have you tried linen's suggestion? If it was my pool, that is what I would do tonight.

And remember, when your guests come, as long as the FC is below normal shock level based on the CYA (& pool is still clear), they can swim.

Everyone should do a rinse off (before :wink: and) after swimming, as usual.

Nice sig :)

Final follow up:

I wasn't home all day to maintain a 30+ FC so i just raised it in the morning to about 35 and left for the day. At 7pm I tested it with a 5ml water sample and my reading was 30.

At 10pm the same time I've been doing it every night i took my final reading and it was 26.5 FC. O CC (where did 3.5 ppm go from 7 to 10?)

This morning at 7am , again the same time as I have done all the other samples it was 21 FC.

????????????? :brickwall:

I really am going backwards. Again the pool still looks great and I have no where else to look for algae.

I'm going to let the FC come down start on getting my TA down and see what happens.

I'm afraid someone as shaken my POP.....because this morning when i opened it .....it all sprayed OUT :crazy:

Lisa

Two things consume chlorine.....

1. Sunlight

2. Organics in the pool water

Since you eliminate sunlight when you test overnight, the inescapable conclusion is you have remaining organics in your pool.

Please help me figure this out........for 4 days my water has been crystal clear......I raise my FC in the morning to the shock level...my SWG is running and each time I check during the day it is still at 30ppm.....then every night between 4pm and 10pm...I loose between 4 -5 ppm....this is after the direct sun is off my pool. For the past 3 night my OCLT has been going backwards.....it seems to me in this case the bleach shocking process is not killing what ever organisms I have....could it be something other than algae? Where is it? How do you fight something you can't find?

Lisa

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 34

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.