Very GREEN Pool Owner

Plaster pools need calcium in the water because pool water with low CH will leech calcium from the plaster, which can damage it. Vinyl pools don't have this issue at all.

You do need to raise your pH, but maybe do it in steps so you don't overshoot. Personally, I'd add enough borax to raise pH to 7 and the circulate and retest.

The minimum recommended CH level for vinyl pools is 50 ppm. Since you have a SWG you need the CYA/stabilizer to be between 60-80 ppm. Until your test kit comes in, go ahead and have the water tested again and post the results. Don't buy anything else until we have had a chance to examine the results and make recommendations.

Right now the most important thing is to get the pH up to 7.2-7.5 range.

You have no bromine ... so no point in reporting that.
What have you added for chlorine? Is the SWG on?

The pH test read artificially high when the FC > 10ppm ... so your pH must be very low.

I would add baking soda to get the TA up to about 70ppm. Then check the pH when the FC gets below 10ppm.

What is the CYA situation? Have you added any?

Time to learn to use poolcalculator.com which will help you determine the amount of chemicals to add to achieve a desired result.

As was previously posted:
scott.MI said:
well its a fresh fill, so you know your CYA (Stabilizer is 0) Pool calc says for 44,000 gallons your gonna need 11 lbs to hit 30.
So I would get another 7 lbs dissolving.

I get 413oz (~26lbs) of baking soda required to raise the TA by 40ppm.

Use those 2 results to verify you are using the calculator correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
Time to learn to use poolcalculator.com which will help you determine the amount of chemicals to add to achieve a desired result.

As was previously posted:
scott.MI said:
well its a fresh fill, so you know your CYA (Stabilizer is 0) Pool calc says for 44,000 gallons your gonna need 11 lbs to hit 30.
So I would get another 7 lbs dissolving.

I get 413oz (~26lbs) of baking soda required to raise the TA by 40ppm.

Use those 2 results to verify you are using the calculator correctly.

Been playing with the calculator and understand it now. Looks as if you are recommending me to get my TA up to around 70 first thing. Also at the same time I will put more stabilizer in to try and get to 30 or 40.

How long after adding these do I need to wait to test everything?
Should I add some pH increase to start it on the way up?

There is a description about it somewhere, I do not recall the details. It is possible the particles get small enough to get out of the sock, but still are not fully decomposed and dissolved into the bulk of the water.

Put 20ish lbs of baking soda in at lunch today and put another 5 lbs of stabilizer in socks to dissolve. Interested to see what the baking soda does as far as test go.

Is it too early to test after adding baking soda?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.