Very first pool...

kmandeville

Jun 1, 2020
Dracut, MA
Hi all,

We just set up our first pool, a 22' x 52" Coleman Swim Vista 2 above ground pool. I've never had a pool before so don't really know what I'm doing yet. Not being too handy ourselves we hired a landscaper to level the area in our yard and put down sand. He got it close to level and we tried to level it ourselves after as best we could, but it's still off an inch or two. We're going to just cross our fingers and hope for the best! Wish us luck.

I've read that now that we've filled it and have the filter running, we should throw some shock in the pool? I have a test kits and will try to figure out how to use that later today (before shocking) to see where things stand right now. Will have to read some more as I've started seeing that we might need a stabilizer and will have to check and maintain the pH levels. Man, what did we get ourselves into!?! :)

Welcome!! Yay for a new pool! Yes, you have some learning on tap. Our methods differ from elsewhere. Ours are science-based and can't be mixed with the pool store approach or your neighbors' approach, unless they come here for advice. I suggest you start by reading the following and asking questions based on that. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry FC/CYA Levels

Next is a test kit. Which one do you have? There are only 2 we recommend a TF-100 and a K-2006.

Taking ownership of the testing and maintenance of your pool will pay vast dividends for your wallet and well-being.

You'll be testing roughly daily/frequently for FC and weekly for pH and monthly for CH, TA, CYA. Though more often at first.

Yes, you do need CYA (stabilizer in the pool) quickly. The FC will burn off really fast without it. You should raise that to 30. It is zero now as tap or well water has none. For other things, I'm hesitant to give too much guidance yet, as depending on your test kit, it may be very unreliable and/or not sufficient.

Sorry to hit you with 3 replies. You may want to create a post under the Testing & Balancing Your Water sub-forum and and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the replies. I had only purchased some really basic testing kits we found at the local store, one is test strips that have 5 pads on it for testing chlorine, ph, free chlorine, alkalinity and something else. That one seemed better than the one my wife bought that had two tubes, one for testing chlorine or bromine, and the other for testing pH. That was almost impossible to tell the difference in color ranges for the chlorine. I THINK my pH is on the low side so far, but I need a better test kit.

I read somewhere that you should shock the water first, so I put in one package of shock last night. If I judged my test strips right this morning, chlorine levels low 0-1, pH is low, 6.8 or lower maybe. I put in one of those floaters with two chlorine tabs in it this morning.

One thing I've noticed is if I look down low near the water across it, I notice small clearish things floating on the water. I'm not sure what that is. My wife thought it might be pollen. Something I read said it could possibly be algae?

I hope to get better at posting here once I get better used to taking care of the pool, and get a better test kit!

Reactions: bmoreswim
The stuff floating on the water these days that clumps together is pollen. No need to worry about it. Run your pump long enough for skimming to make you happy with it's removal.

Yeah, good call on the skimmer. Without one you won’t be looking at a clear surface.