Very confused

Jun 14, 2015
PW virginia
Hello All,

I'm going to try and make this as short as possible. So we have an intex 20' pool that has been up for the last 2 years. Last year we had mad issues with algae and finally discovered at the end of the season that we had several broken laterals in the pump. So before we got the pool up and running this year, we purchased a new sand pump and also went ahead and decided to purchase the intex krystal clear saltwater system. We also purchased all new sand as well. We got everything up and running with no issues but my husband did add more salt than needed by accident. But the water has been crystal clear but when we do a chlorine test, we get no reading. Our PH is balanced right and we also don't get a CYA reading either. The salt system continues to give us a high salt reading and will only run about every 3 days. Which makes no sense since we can't get a chlorine reading when we test the water. Now we vacuumed to waste yesterday trying to remove as much algae as possible. We have also had a lot of rain the last few weeks so i've been adding shock about weekly to help keep everything balanced. The water has been clear as it ever could be even after brushing the algae yesterday. Which shocked us because whenever we've brushed algae before it normally turns the water to a nasty green color. When we first opened the pool i did add algaecide simply because we couldn't see to the bottom of the pool until the salt got up and running. Also when the salt first started it ran fine for the first 2 weeks. Its so confusing since we are getting no chlorine reading but having a high salt warning and having algae.

Hello! :wave: It sounds as though you may be confused about how to treat algae and prevent it from returning. The algaecide and filtering will not remove your algae, only the proper amount of chlorine will kill the algae. To know how much chlorine (bleach) is required, we must know your CYA level. Once you know your CYA level, then you can refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart to find the correct SLAM level for your pool and perform a "SLAM" (link also below). Hopefully you are testing your own water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C which will provide accurate results we can rely on. Remember, your SWG cannot produce the amount of free chlorine (FC) required to meet the levels listed on the chlorine/CYA Chart and perform the SLAM process.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

I've done the slam process before so i fully understand how that all works. What i'm confused by is that the salt system is flashing a high salt code and it won't run but when we try to do a CYA test or even just the standard chlorine test we get no results at all.

Hello Jaime, yes very confusing.
I think you should reread the ABC's of Pool Chemistry. You are either confusing the various chemicals or don't fully understand how a SWG works.
The SWG generates chlorine. Your SWG does not measure chlorine, so it doesn't know how much FC is in the water.

None of this has anything to do with CYA. CYA is a separate chemical. CYA only realistically disappears through water removal. What was your starting value and about how much water have you back washed and /or removed?

Could it be possible that you can't keep chlorine in the water for one of the following reasons:
CYA is so low that the sun is burning off the FC.
The FC is working to kill the algae and therefore being destroyed?
By the time you take a reading it appears that the FC is zero and the SWG is not working? what is your CC reading?

I haven't gotten a CC reading thats why something doesn't seem right. The only reading i can get is on the PH, nothing else that test gets a reading. Thats all i was saying about CYA is that i have no reading on that either when i test it. So no CC, FC or CYA readings when i test the water even after the salt water system has worked properly.

I think the best course of action going forward is to put some chlorine in the pool using bleach up to 10 ppm. 15 minutes later test the water for chlorine and see what is in there. If your FC level is above 5-6ppm then dose with CYA to get to 40 ppm. If below 5ppm then add more chlorine to get to 10 ppm. Keep repeating the cycle until you hold 5-6ppm FC.
After you add the CYA, dose with the bleach to get to SLAM level FC. From that point on use bleach to keep FC above SLAM level.
You need to do all this with bleach because your SWG can't do it quick enough.
Pay attention to your filter pressure and backwash as necessary. During backwashing you'll get the salt level down as well.

How are you testing your pool water? If you are running a SWG and have zero CYA you are just chasing your tail. SWG's need at the very minimum a CYA reading of 70. You also add algae into the equation and that is going to consume the chlorine and lets not forget about the sunlight. I'm really not surprised to hear that you have no FC with a possibility of CYA being zero.

What test kit are you using? How old is it?

How much CYA did you add to the pool? When we had our old intex with that same salt water generator we had to put a bunch of CYA in the pool and it took a while for it all to dissolve.

I loved my salt water generator but that one won't run with high or low salt. It's pretty picky. You will have to do a partial drain or backwash as a previous poster said to get the salt out. If I remember correctly we had to run the SWG for 2 - 4 hours a day to get enough chlorine per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.