Variable speed pump settings?

dobe12

Nov 18, 2020
Sacramento
Hi:

I have a 20,000 gallon pool with a small (3 person) spa. I had an old A.O. SMITH single speed pool pump 1.5 HP RPM 3450. It did a good job but it had a small leak. Rather than fix it I purchased a Jandy VSFLOPRO to save on my electric bill.

The old pump ran for 7 hours and did a good job. My pool guy has set the new pump at high speed (3100) from 9 am to 3 and low speed (1700) from 7 am to 4.

So it runs at 3100 RPM for 6 hours and 1700 RPM for 3 hours.

I noticed that the PSI is lower, at high speed, with this pump than the single speed pump. It was 16 PSI at 3100 with the single speed pump and now it's 12 psi when running at 3100.
I want to save on my electric bill but I also want the pump to be working at its most efficient.

This forum is so helpful I thought I'd see if you have any suggestions on the best settings?

Thanks!

Your pool guy set it up like an old pump...

Start your pump at 800 rpm and go up from there by 100 rpm.. where does it start pulling crud into the skimmer.. it will be slow but still pull stuff in... that will be your normal speed...

I run mine 12 hours a day at 800 rpm and my SWG requires 1200 rpm but I did 1500 rpm for 2 hours now...

You goal is to skim enough at the lowest rpm setting :)

Don't know if it makes a difference but mine is not a salt water pool.

So it's reasonable to run the pump for 12 hours? I'm still not sure what to set the RPMs to, how many different RPMs should I set and for how long should I run each RPM?

If I start at 800 RPM for a few hours then increase to 1200 for a few hours then 1500 for the rest of the day 6-8 more hours? Will that provide enough turnover?

Thanks.

turnover is an old myth, no need for any of that... there are 2 reason to run a pump..

1. skimming to remove junk out/off of the pool
2. 30 minutes to mix the chemicals you have added..

so if you pool skims at 1200 rpm run that for 6 to12 to 24 hours... how does your pool look, is it cleaning to you standard? some run a VS pump 24/7 at 1000 to 1200 rpm
It really comes down to what you want your water to look like.. :)

Every pool system is different. Like CC said you will have to manually adjust your rpms and watch your water flow and skimming action for best results. Play around and explore all your options.
1700 will probably be fine for mixing chems depending on how long the pump runs, when and how you add chems. I run my vs pump at different hours throughout the season but all follow the same pattern. Higher rpm 2200 at start up for ideal skimming after being off, then low rpm 1300 for majority of run but still slowly skimming and to operate SWG, then finish with higher rpm to polish the surface. In summer my pump runs 12 hours, 2-8-2 and in mid winter 8 hours, 1-6-1.
Does your pump have a quick run setting you can program? When I added chlorine by hand I would use that setting to mix chems if the pump was off or near the end of the run to ensure mixing by programing it for 45 mins at 2200 rpm.

Last edited:
Reactions: csconner
I run my VSF 7x24 at 550rpm in winter, 970rpm in spring (minimum to drive SWG), summer and fall. I kick it up to 1100, 1650 or 2200RPM FOR 15 min to 120 min depending upon amount of leaves, seeds and or pollen prior to swimming and 30gpm during heating or chilling.
Only time I run above 2200RPM is when I vacuum.
works great. Saves lots of electricity

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.