Variable Speed Pump Schedule Suggestion?

Apr 23, 2018
Ada
I just replaced my pump. Approximately 22,500 gallons, was powered by a 1hp single speed Hayward Superpump. The new pump is a Pentair Superflo 1.5hp variable speed, and I added a Pureline PL7700 SWG that is rated for 40,000gal. Does anyone have any suggestions as a starting point for a run schedule, and what RPM's to run at? I installed a flo switch with the SWG, so my plan is to have the % set that it will always be generating while the pump is running, but if need be I can install a timer for the SWG.

VSPs are awesome, congrats on the new hardware, your life just got easier!

I run mine at 1400 RPM for 8 hours 9-5 daily. Check your SWG for minimum RPM output as some need more than others to properly chlorinate. My SWG can operate at low flow rates, i.e. under 1200 RPM but I run it at 1400 RPM just to be sure and to get better skimming action.

Pump runtime really is your own personal preference. Some users run their VSP 24/7 and others run for as little as 4 hours. With a SWG, you will have to run your VSP long enough for the SWG to sanitize the pool. Pretty much anything longer than that is to keep the surface clean or if you added chemicals. The great thing about VSPs is I can crank the RPMs up to 3000 and have my surface water cleaned in about 20 minutes if need be.

Thanks for the response. My plumbing setup is pretty simple, 1 main drain at 1.5" and 1 skimmer at 1.5" come in to a jandy valve, all 2" on the equipment pad, and 1.5" return line to 2 return jets.

Thanks for the response. My plumbing setup is pretty simple, 1 main drain at 1.5" and 1 skimmer at 1.5" come in to a jandy valve, all 2" on the equipment pad, and 1.5" return line to 2 return jets.
With only one skimmer and 2 returns, you may need to run longer for the cleaning action but you can now play around with the speeds and see what is most effective on a day to day basis.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.