Variable Speed Pump Rookie

May 20, 2015
New Jersey
I just recently upgraded to a Tristar VSP Pump with Hayward Pro Logic automation. I've been looking over the forums and have a ton of questions about this pump.

1. I was wondering if this pump can be installed with both the Hayward automation as well as the panel that came with the pump. Right now when I added the low voltage Com wire from the Pro Logic panel to the pump I disconnected the panel that came with the pump. Can both these be wired at the same time or is this a bad idea.

2.I have a Raypak heater. I was wondering what speed the pump should run when the heater is on? Does the speed even matter? Anyone have experience with the Raypak heaters and VSP? What has worked best?

3.I'm using a hayward chlorinator. I looked through the literature for this chlorinator and I may have missed it but I cannot find the minimum GPM needed for the chlorinator which would help me figure out the speed I need to run the pump.

4.I assume the VSP should be run at full for my polaris. Is this correct?

5.I've seen may thoughts on pool turnover. How may times should the pool turn over in one day?

Thanks for your time

I can answer questions 4 and 5.

If your Polaris has a booster you don't have to run the VS at full I run mine at 2100 RPM with the booster a Jandy Rep told me any thing above 1500 should be fine I started at 1500 but the Polaris was not sticking to the wall and bottom as much as I would like and 2100 seemed to be the sweet spot. The same should be true for non booster pump models just pick a starting point and adjust up or down until you like the way it preforms.

You don't need to turn the water over every day, all you "need" to do is mix the chemicals that can be done in a couple hours at around 1100 rpm. The rest is about the aesthetics I run about 4 hours in the winter and 6 in the summer at 1100 RPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.