Vacuum/Filtering issues

Oct 19, 2018
Athens, AL
We've been in this house 9 years, and this year is the absolute worst for the pool. I am having an issue when I try to vacuum my pool. I have major amounts of dead algae on the bottom of the pool, so of course I want to vacuum it out. When I hook my vacuum line up to my skimmer, it vacuums fine for a few minutes, and then it starts pumping all of what I am vacuuming right back into the pool. The first time it happened, I thought the filter was loaded with junk, so I stopped and backwashed. Water being discharged on backwash wasn't all that bad. Started vacuuming again and same scenario. That was late last year so finally just gave up and shut the pool down. Now this year I am attempting again to solve the problem. I deep cleaned my sand filter before I started this year but no improvement. The only way I am able to get rid of what I am vacuuming out, is sending it straight to waste. My water bill is getting out of hand-so any suggestions on what I need to be checking on?

Sand filters have a hard time filtering dead algae. It is too small for the filter. You can try adding some DE to the filter (1 PSI rise) to help filter that out. Another way to get it out would be to vacuum to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.