Vac or no Vac

fp22

Apr 14, 2019
Tampa
Pool construction will start in the next week and I was considering removing the Vac port but my PB recommends I keep it just in case noting that it is a standard feature. My thoughts are that I have always disliked Polaris type water propelled cleaners and would prefer a robot or skimmer based suction cleaner or simply clean it myself so I wouldn't use the port and it is one my thing that sticks out of the wall that isn't needed. I don't want to dismiss my PB's recommendation without a little more thought or gathering some more opinions.

if you have a Vac port... do you use it? are you happy you have it or would you preferred it wasn't there?

if you don't have one... do you find yourself missing it?

Thanks!

I'd skip it. Other than putting a fountain in the port we don't use it for a pressure vac. IF, and that's a big IF I ever had my robot die and had to vacuum I'd just use my skimmer plate manual vac.

I'd say its one less pipe to get in the way.

Maddie :flower:

Mine just functions as an extra return since I went all Mr. Roboto on my pool. My other three returns are on one line. If something happened to that line, I'd still have one return (though it wouldn't enough).

It won't make a big difference either way.

Is this vac port a suction or pressure port? If a suction port, I'd keep it - much easier to attach a vac hose or suction cleaner than using a skimmer plate or attaching the hose directly into the skimmer port.

Even if you plan on using a robot, having a suction side vac port allows manual vacuuming and/or suction side cleaner use while maintaining full skimmer function.

Reactions: shocka and tim5055
It's really up to you.
Personally, i think the flexibility of having it down the road is worth the negligible cost. An additional thought - as you stated, it's a standard feature from the PB, you'll likely receive little to no credit for not including it.
It does add a little more complexity to your plumbing, but I wouldn't consider that much of a negative.

I have a suction side port that was used for a suction cleaner for the first 6 years and since then, 4 years, I use the port several times a year usually for a quick manual vac of the pool. I removed the cover to the port and keep the valve cracked open so it constantly gets a small amount of flow through the pipe. You do need to be careful to not open the valve too much as it will be a strong suction line that kids could put the fingers in.

Personally, I would skip the port if I started from scratch and just use the skimmer for a manual vac every now and then.

Reactions: fp22
Thanks all for the great replies!

Provia & Ping... thanks for making me check to see if it was a suction port... it is! That is something I never expected and I think I could learn to like that instead of using the skimmer as I always have. There was no cost difference. I just found no value in the pressure ports as I would never use that kind of cleaner and can't have any fountains or water noise.

My PB told me I would need an adapter to use a hose as it is sized for automatic cleaners. Still, the only downside I see is cosmetic but that is a small blemish I can live with. I still plan on going the robot route after reading many people sing their praises.

Less than a week away now... crossing fingers for 6 weeks of good weather!

Last edited:
Mine is a pressure port that I have never used. If it was a vac port I would use it. And in order to use it, I have to put my heater and SWG into at least partial bypass. If it was plumbed as a return/pressure port I would use it for more return water. It was also a no cost item.

Reactions: fp22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.