Fassel

Jul 9, 2022
Yakima, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been using Dichlor daily in my 1,895 gallon swim spa. My CYA is at 50. Due to this, I wanted to switch to sodium hypochlorite and the forum (run by sales people) had a fit and said it would void my 10 year warranty. The warranty will be voided with CALCIUM hypochlorite. The confusion with the group, is they don't speak english- they speak brand names.

They recommend using Dichlor along with "shock". That is another term they use a lot- my sodium hypochlorite is labeled "...for everyday shock treatment'. I have a Shock Oxider which is 31% potassium peroxymonosulfate.

Obviously, I don't want to damage any rubber fittings, or the pool, which is a hard plastic of some sort, but my CYA keeps climbing and I don't want to empty it. I believe this group has actual WATER CHEMISTTY experts. Can you please direct me as to my daily, weekly, routine?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Methuselah
I have been using Dichlor daily in my 1,895 gallon swim spa. My CYA is at 50. Due to this, I wanted to switch to sodium hypochlorite and the forum (run by sales people) had a fit and said it would void my 10 year warranty. The warranty will be voided with CALCIUM hypochlorite. The confusion with the group, is they don't speak english- they speak brand names.

They recommend using Dichlor along with "shock". That is another term they use a lot- my sodium hypochlorite is labeled "...for everyday shock treatment'. I have a Shock Oxider which is 31% potassium peroxymonosulfate.

Obviously, I don't want to damage any rubber fittings, or the pool, which is a hard plastic of some sort, but my CYA keeps climbing and I don't want to empty it. I believe this group has actual WATER CHEMISTTY experts. Can you please direct me as to my daily, weekly, routine?

Thanks in advance.

You actually got decent, alas abbreviated, advice from the manufacturer (I'm shocked). High calcium levels is not the way to go, but save it for when/if you want to increase CH at water changes.

We do indeed have 2-3 chemistry experts that post regularly and answer calls for help, and as Bob Dylan said, it ain't me babe :) However, I doubt anyone can tell you what to do daily, weekly, etc. which will cover all your bases if you don't first get a firm grasp on the basics. No offense meant, but the suggested reading @PoolStored offered will go a long way toward knowing what to do and how to ask for help if things go wrong.

There are charts, and it shows you need to keep a minimum FC (free chlorine) level of 4 in your hot tub at all times, and shoot for a range of 4-8. That and a ballpark PH are your first concerns.

Thanks for your prompt response. MS "experts" have conflicting recommendations. One theory is Dichlor daily and potassium peroxymonosulfate weekly. Others are doing the EXACT opposite and calling both ingredients "shock" interchangeably. It is always good to re-read the Pool School information and through this forum I read to switch to sodium hypochlorite when CRA gets to 30 (mine is 50). Does liquid chlorine( NOT Clorox) make plastic, acrylic or whatever my pool actually is, de-laminate?? I was told by an MS dealer that it will. If so, why is it sold in plastic bottles? Common sense or ignorance on my part?

Thanks for your prompt response. MS "experts" have conflicting recommendations. One theory is Dichlor daily and potassium peroxymonosulfate weekly. Others are doing the EXACT opposite and calling both ingredients "shock" interchangeably. It is always good to re-read the Pool School information and through this forum I read to switch to sodium hypochlorite when CRA gets to 30 (mine is 50). Does liquid chlorine( NOT Clorox) make plastic, acrylic or whatever my pool actually is, de-laminate?? I was told by an MS dealer that it will. If so, why is it sold in plastic bottles? Common sense or ignorance on my part?

I reckon shock is mostly taking the chlorine level high enough to break down chloramines, so you could shock with cal-hypo, dichlor, trichlor, or bleach. That's why you need the baseline knowledge so you know the consequences associated with each and are better at soliciting help (i.e. calling cyanuric acid CRA instead of CYA might have someone scratching their head instead of offering help).

Notice I didn't include potassium peroxymonosulfate (MPS) as shock, well, I suppose you could also use it for that too.

adding/consequence;

MPS / increased sulfates in water (algae food), can help break down chloramines (CC) but not an effective sanitizer so can leave bad things behind
no-additives bleach or chlorinator / recommended, know that it loses potency over time and elevated temperatures however
Cal-Hypo - adds calcium (CH), gets hot while dissolving. Too high a CH can coat things like your heater element
Trichlor - dissolves very fast at hot tub temperatures, too fast, will drive FC too high, PH down, and add CYA
dichlor - adds CYA, convenient when that's what you are trying to do

I'm betting your tub is acrylic and should be safe in any chemicals situation that a human is safe in...

I'd suggest the pool school link, it's worth it or I wouldn't recommend it. By the way, there are lots of hot tubs only a year or so old for sale, usually sold by folks that took advice from pool stores or well meaning manufacturing support and found the chemistry upkeep to be too much work. I think you are way ahead of the game just coming here for advice ... they way these folks recommend doing things works really well ;)

Does liquid chlorine( NOT Clorox) make plastic, acrylic or whatever my pool actually is, de-laminate?? I was told by an MS dealer that it will.
Likely bunk to sell you chemicals. Re-read pool school. Liquid chlorine should do no damage.

Here is the Warranty info from Clarity Spas (Master Spas BRAND):
• Damage caused by unapproved sanitizers such as calcium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide, “tri-chlor” type chlorines or any sanitizing chemical that may remain undissolved on the spa surface.

Yes, my warranty reads exactly the same way. I agree, they are constantly selling product in an advice giving way. I will continue along the path I am on and re-read the pool school information on a more regular basis, as I always pick up another golden nugget. I came here before I got my swim spa (July) and have referred others to this site (probably to the chagrin of MS) Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.