Using Recessed Auto Cover for Winter

Stopltracr

Sep 5, 2020
Andover, KS
Hello all, I'm new to pools. We just bought a house 2 weeks ago that has an in ground 22000 gallon pool with a recessed auto cover. I've called a couple places about getting the pool winterized. The both said that using the recessed auto cover is the best for a winter cover. I'm concerned about the cover being able to support the weight of the cover pump and snow without damaging it (either the rope, rails, or stretching the cover). During the summer with the pool full the cover/pump rest on the pool surface so the cover isn't supporting the entire weight.

Does everyone use the recessed auto cover for a winter cover? Or do you use a tarp/other cover for the winter to save your auto cover from abuse?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

My auto cover is my winter cover. If has slack so the cover always sits on the water despite variations in water level, rain and show. I don't lower the water level during the winter. The cover pump takes care of the rain accumulation. Once the water freezes that supports the cover and any snow load. Search for auto cover in the search feature. Someone had a similar question about using a separate cover for the winter. The consensus was that the auto cover was designed to do both (winter & safety cover).

I use mine as a winter cover but now add a cheap tarp and it worked great.
see

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.