Using pool water to fill new hot tub

Jun 8, 2016
Tampa
We got a new hot tub a few weeks ago and while we’ve been enjoying it, I’m quickly learning that it’s a bit different to manage the chemicals then the pool. Everything has a learning curve right?

So help me with this thought. Our hot tub is very close to the pool pump and plumbing. My thought is why not use the pool water and pump to fill the hot tub? The pool water is on a salt cell and I do very little with it.

Why not connect the hot tub drain line to the pool plumbing and use the pool water to fill the hot tub through its drain line. Can you backfill a hot tub via the drain line?
With a couple of added valves and some piping, I could make it very easy to re-circulate the hot tub water with the pool system. Is this a good idea or no?

I had a heckuva time with my hot tub pre TFP, with the SWG pool running on auto pilot a few feet away. I had your thoughts more times than I could count. I figured I'd use the tub, then circulate it with fresh pool water. The incoming water would be ready to go and the hot tub water would be a proverbial drop in the 35k gallon bucket (pool). Ultimately I never went for it because I'd have to heat the pool water each time.

I had a heckuva time with my hot tub pre TFP, with the SWG pool running on auto pilot a few feet away. I had your thoughts more times than I could count. I figured I'd use the tub, then circulate it with fresh pool water. The incoming water would be ready to go and the hot tub water would be a proverbial drop in the 35k gallon bucket (pool). Ultimately I never went for it because I'd have to heat the pool water each time.
My thoughts exactly. I guess I’m not so much going to circulate the water all the time but maybe every couple of weeks…
I realize it’s very do able. My question really is can I fill the hot tub via it’s drain line? Again I don’t see why this would be an issue but wanted to ask the forum with much more experience. :)

My question really is can I fill the hot tub via it’s drain line?
I had a budget tub with a *really* budget drain that left alot to be desired with a flimsy pull valve and low flow. With needing to monitor it anyway, it would have been more efficient to just use the sump pump.
I guess I’m not so much going to circulate the water all the time but maybe every couple of weeks…
Yeah. However far it gets until it starts going south. Woohoo I got 2 months this time. :ROFLMAO:

You'll get over the learning curve pretty quick, especially having a GREAT base knowledge and a slew of helpers to ride by your side when you need us. Purge the new tub with Ahhhsome at your earliest convenience. After that just monitor and adjust daily until you get a feel for how your tub responds.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Fill the hot tub with pool water - yes, not an issue. Keep the hot tub clean this way? Not so much.
Follow this guide 👇
One issue with using your pool water to fill with is the cya (if you follow TFP it’s somewhere between 60-80)
This is too high for a stand alone spa & makes maintaining one impractical. Even if you decide to use a swg for the spa (which I highly recommend) the recommended cya is around 30 & you would still use the manually chlorinated recommended levels
FC/CYA Levels ALWAYS keeping fc above minimum for your cya at all times.
As mentioned an AHHSOME purge is a must to start off on the right foot. Biofilms are present even in brand new spas because they are wet tested at the factory & it’s impossible to evacuate all the water allowing things to grow while in transit to you.

Fill the hot tub with pool water - yes, not an issue. Keep the hot tub clean this way? Not so much.
Follow this guide 👇
One issue with using your pool water to fill with is the cya (if you follow TFP it’s somewhere between 60-80)
This is too high for a stand alone spa & makes maintaining one impractical. Even if you decide to use a swg for the spa (which I highly recommend) the recommended cya is around 30 & you would still use the manually chlorinated recommended levels
FC/CYA Levels ALWAYS keeping fc above minimum for your cya at all times.
As mentioned an AHHSOME purge is a must to start off on the right foot. Biofilms are present even in brand new spas because they are wet tested at the factory & it’s impossible to evacuate all the water allowing things to grow while in transit to you.
Thank you. My Ahhsome is being delivered today. I plan to purge it once it arrives. I also read I should refill the tub and purge again after using ahhsome. Is this step needed?

Thank you. My Ahhsome is being delivered today. I plan to purge it once it arrives. I also read I should refill the tub and purge again after using ahhsome. Is this step needed?
You just keep using the same water with subsequent 1/2 doses until no more detritus comes out then drain & refill. After the first dose it will get to a point where its no longer foaming up like it was- that’s when you go in with a 1/2 dose & give it another go. Repeat 🔁 until no more gunk is released. Be sure to wipe up any gunk as it comes out, if there’s funky stuff in the foam scoop that out too as you go. You can throw your filters in as well & just rinse them after if they need to be cleaned (if they’re brand new this is likely not necessary).
As Joe mentioned to prevent air lock you should fill via the filter compartment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately it didn’t have enough guts to push the water up several feet and into the hot tub.
I bought this 1 HP for $68. There is a non stainless Cousin for under $60, and a 1.6 HP .Uncle for $89.

The 1 HP whoops the old 1/3 HP I had that cost twice as much.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.