Using cistern water for pool top offs?

Jsfry44

May 28, 2020
Kansas
I’ve had a pool for years and somewhere along the line I was told to absolutely never use cistern water in my pool. Now I’m starting to question whether this is true or not. I’d love some feedback since rural water (I live in the boonies) is pretty expensive. I have to put about 1-2 inches in once a week in the heat of the summer and if I could use freebie water, that would be great. However, my water numbers are awesome right now and I really don’t want to upset the apple cart.

What's it look like? Mud? Green algae? Clear?

Is this rainfall collected from the roof? Let the dust settle and use it. Rainwater will have no CYA or Ch in it, making it ideal to replace evaporation.

People here have filled pools with all sorts of awful water, from ponds, lakes, and rusty volunteer fire truck tanks. It might take a few days to bring it to crystal clear, but it can be used.

What's it look like? Mud? Green algae? Clear?

Is this rainfall collected from the roof? Let the dust settle and use it. Rainwater will have no CYA or Ch in it, making it ideal to replace evaporation.

People here have filled pools with all sorts of awful water, from ponds, lakes, and rusty volunteer fire truck tanks. It might take a few days to bring it to crystal clear, but it can be used.
It’s clear water. Collected from roof into our underground cistern system. We use it for garden and flowers. I think I remember them saying something about metals...who knows.

It’s clear water. Collected from roof into our underground cistern system. We use it for garden and flowers. I think I remember them saying something about metals...who knows.
Is it a metal cistern?

When I took over my pool the CYA was 250+. As the pool was clear I chose high FC and worked teh CYA down over 18 months. My biggest source of water? My roof gutters. I added divrters to the downspouts on the back of the house and piped the water to the pool.

Use the cistern and keep your FC near the upper end of the recommended range and call it a day.

The one thing I would be worried about is if the roof has asphalt shingles and you get some blistering summer temperatures, if the shingles would leach some oils into the water.

I used that run-off water successfully for two summers on my pool years ago. I got no oil whatsoever but some of the sand grit from the shingles. Easy enough to pick up and I could've screened them out but the idea of using the water off the roof is a good one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used that run-off water successfully for two summers on my pool years ago. I got no oil whatsoever but some of the sand grit from the shingles. Easy enough to pick up and I could've screened them out but the idea of using the water off the roof is a good one.
I used a "bag" at teh end made out of a stocking ot catch the grit. I actually didn't get that much.

The one thing I would be worried about is if the roof has asphalt shingles and you get some blistering summer temperatures, if the shingles would leach some oils into the water.
My roof has baked for many seasons under the Southern California Sun. I don't see any rainbow sheen on the surface indicating oils, even after a couple days' rain.

And if it did, a Scumbug would probably take care of it since oil stays on the surface.

Some shingles contain copper to inhibit algae/mold growth. Also, some roof installers will put a copper strip the length of the roof peak for the same reason (rain picks up copper and it runs down the roof). In either case, I can see that being a potential issue if adding that water to a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.